"WATSON: SCHOOL," by Craig Farmer, Tate Publishing, $9.95 (ages 3-5)
Watson understands the importance of school. He will learn a lot when he listens carefully to the teacher or asks questions politely. He keeps himself healthy, plays well with friends and does his homework. “Watson is a good student.” An admonishment follows, “You can be one, too!”
Even though the story of this spunky little white terrier deviates from school activities, as suggested by the title, the text comes across more as a general litany of “good behaviors” than interesting school adventures. While there are only a few sentences on each page, the text is more appropriate for those who are more advanced than beginning readers as sentences are longer and contain complex syntax. “Watson: School” is a "read aloud" book so that the simple sketches of Watson and his little canine friends at play might be enjoyed.
If you go ...
What: Storytime with Craig Farmer
When: Saturday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- Sundance's 'Fiddler' makes tradition fun, fresh
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1