"WATSON: SCHOOL," by Craig Farmer, Tate Publishing, $9.95 (ages 3-5)
Watson understands the importance of school. He will learn a lot when he listens carefully to the teacher or asks questions politely. He keeps himself healthy, plays well with friends and does his homework. “Watson is a good student.” An admonishment follows, “You can be one, too!”
Even though the story of this spunky little white terrier deviates from school activities, as suggested by the title, the text comes across more as a general litany of “good behaviors” than interesting school adventures. While there are only a few sentences on each page, the text is more appropriate for those who are more advanced than beginning readers as sentences are longer and contain complex syntax. “Watson: School” is a "read aloud" book so that the simple sketches of Watson and his little canine friends at play might be enjoyed.
If you go ...
What: Storytime with Craig Farmer
When: Saturday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1