Brian Nicholson, OKespaÑol
Going from being a student to being a college graduate is a big transition to say the least. Money Under 30 offers four ways to make sure graduates are in the "best financial state possible."
Some graduates have full-time job offers when they graduate. Maria LaMagna, financial writer for Money Under 30, said she has learned not to compare.
“They might be able to live a different lifestyle than I’m able to, and that’s OK!” LaMagna wrote in her article. “As long as I’m not trying to keep up with them, and I focus on my own situation instead of theirs, I’ll be able to stick to my own personal budget.”
Don’t expect to live in a big apartment, LaMagna says. Live with family or multiple roommates if you can. Start modestly and upgrade later.
Pay these first, according to LaMagna, as putting them off is a bad alternative.
“Being responsible doesn’t necessarily mean paying them as quickly as possible, but it does mean making them a priority,” LaMagna said.
Make sacrifices but give yourself a break
Experts suggest 50 percent of your income should go to “essentials,” 20 percent for savings (two-thirds for retirement, one-third emergencies) and 30 percent for whatever you want.
Keep track of small purchases that can easily put you over the 30 percent, LaMagna suggests. If 50 percent of your entry-level income doesn’t cover the essentials like bills and transportation costs, shave it off of your wants.
- 16 charitable activities you can do with your...
- How grandparents can save for their...
- Amazon does not have to pay workers for time...
- Balancing act: Holiday parties can help build...
- Can't buy me love: How to give your partner...
- Randy Shumway: One solution for air...
- Is brand loyalty the new religion?
- Dave Ramsey says: You can't make people take...
- Why Utah is the most charitable state... 38
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- Crunch time again for health insurance... 3
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- US consumer prices fall in November 2
- Amazon does not have to pay workers for... 2
- 5 purchases you should never put on a... 1
- Why many millennials lack the money to... 1