Orem doctor, fiancée overdosed on anesthesia, police say
OREM — Police have determined that the deaths of embattled Orem plastic surgeon Joseph Berg and his fiancée in August were the result of accidental overdoses.
Berg, 47, and his girlfriend, Lucy Schwartz, 48, were found dead at his home, 479 E. 1450 North, on Aug. 27. Their deaths came just days after Berg finished serving jail time for kidnapping Schwartz.
Based on their investigation, which included the autopsy report from the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office, Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez said it was determined that both victims accidentally overdosed on Isoflurane, an anesthesia commonly used in surgeries. It's a general anesthetic administered by inhalation.
When asked whether there was any possibility that the overdose deaths were not accidental, Martinez said the conclusion was made based on the evidence collected.
"We can only speak on what evidence we have," he said.
Investigators believe Berg got the Isoflurane by going to his office the night before. He owned Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Institute and Day Spa in Orem, but surrendered his medical license to the Utah Department of Occupational Professional Licensing after he was charged. At that time, DOPL determined that Berg was not "physically and/or mentally fit to practice as a physician."
Last April, Berg was sentenced to jail for binding and gagging Schwartz during a drug- and alcohol-induced rage. She was found gagged and her hands and wrists taped together and tied to a dresser in the closet. Fourth District Judge Samuel D. McVey sentenced him to 180 days in the Utah County Jail and three years' probation. He also ordered the doctor to undergo drug treatment and take an anger management course. The judge suspended prison sentences that could have totaled 15 years.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 19
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 18
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911... 11