Jaramillo thinks it's a program that benefits everyone. The teachers get some extra help, the students get a male role model and the dads get to learn more about the education and environment that their children experience every day.
The fathers go through a background check, like all school volunteers, and then get their assignments.
"They are screened so we do have good quality dads coming in and nothing that we need to worry about, because that's always a concern with students' safety," Jameson said.
Canyons District spokesman Jeff Haney said the district sticks to state law when it comes to both screening and firearms. Utah allows those with concealed carry permits to bring a concealed weapon on school property.
But Jameson emphasized that the main value of this program is not in the security aspect, but the involvement of fathers in the lives and education of children.
"I think we want dads' influence in the schools and that's the main focus," Jameson said. "We will have dads going around and checking doors and making sure doors are closed when they should be at appropriate times, but mostly we're going to have these dads volunteering in classrooms and on the playground and being that positive role model."
Jaramillo, for one, already feels the appreciation of the students. Throughout the day, he hands out high fives.
"We're superheroes around here so there's some value to us, too, and we enjoy that."
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Ex-congressional staffer lied about war...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 105
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 39
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19