SALT LAKE CITY — Best-selling author and Harvard professor Michael Sandel will give the 2013 Tanner Lecture on Human Values, sponsored by the University of Utah Tanner Humanities Center.
Sandel's lecture, titled “Casino Capitalism: Gambling, Investing and the Ethics of Speculation,” will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, at Kingsbury Hall, 1395 E. Presidents Circle. This event is free, but tickets are required and available through the Kingsbury Hall box office or by calling 801-581-7100.
The lecture will explore whether capitalism today has lost its way, and how it might find its moral bearings.
Sandel is the Anne T. and Robert M. Bass Professor of Government at Harvard University. He is the author of multiple books, including “Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?” and most recently, “What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets,” which was published in April.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 14