Of course, I’m suggesting that some of the employees that might otherwise be considered “local scum” are often some of the most engaged — at least that’s what I’ve observed over the course of my career.
A few years back, following a management change in the company I was working for at the time, I decided to see if being the “weasel” would make a difference — even though I really am “local scum.” As a result, I was successful at elevating my position in the company. I earned more respect from the boss and was even paid more. But the truth of the matter is I wasn’t a better employee than I was when I was “local scum” and disrespected.
Maybe it’s time we look at the employees that complain the least, work the most and don’t get much recognition generally, and do something to make sure they aren’t being taken for granted. At the business development company Lendio, recognizing employees who consistently perform well is part of the culture. What’s more, every month employees are encouraged to recognize the contributions and achievements of their peers. I can’t think of anyone I’ve met over the years who doesn’t appreciate a little recognition for their accomplishments now or then.
Are you “local scum” or the “weasel”?
As a main street business evangelist and marketing veteran with more than 25 years in the trenches, Ty Kiisel writes about leading people and small-business issues for Lendio (lendio.com).
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- 2 financial goals you should revisit every year
- Utah gas prices among lowest in nation
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- Are Americans investing or speculating on a...
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- Young adults are faced with risky... 7
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 4
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch:... 3