High school boys basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The first round of the 2A state tournament gets underway Friday at Orem High School, with the eight winners advancing to the quarterfinals at the Southern Utah University in Cedar City next Thursday. Defending state champion South Sevier heads into the playoffs on a 15-game winning streak and is on a collision course with No. 1 Wasatch Academy in the semifinals.
Reigning 2A MVP Race Parsons has scored 1,996 career points, and is just a few points away from becoming the sixth player in state history to sure pass 2,000 career points.
In order of winning percentage, these are the 16 teams that qualified for the 2A boys state basketball tournament this year:
1. Wasatch Academy (21-1)
2. South Sevier (18-3)
3. Beaver (15-3)
4. South Summit (14-7)
5. Gunnison (14-7)
6. Emery (13-7)
7. Manti (13-8)
8. Enterprise (13-9)
9. Richfield (11-8)
10. Merit Academy (11-8)
11. Parowan (11-10)
12. Summit Academy (11-10)
13. San Juan (11-10)
14. Kanab (9-10)
15. North Summit (8-12)
16. Waterford (6-14)
James Edward is the prep sports editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- Morning links: L.A. Times writer, former...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 70
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 40
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 33
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 32
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 29
- Tanner Mangum returns from injury,... 25