High school boys basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The first round of the 2A state tournament gets underway Friday at Orem High School, with the eight winners advancing to the quarterfinals at the Southern Utah University in Cedar City next Thursday. Defending state champion South Sevier heads into the playoffs on a 15-game winning streak and is on a collision course with No. 1 Wasatch Academy in the semifinals.
Reigning 2A MVP Race Parsons has scored 1,996 career points, and is just a few points away from becoming the sixth player in state history to sure pass 2,000 career points.
In order of winning percentage, these are the 16 teams that qualified for the 2A boys state basketball tournament this year:
1. Wasatch Academy (21-1)
2. South Sevier (18-3)
3. Beaver (15-3)
4. South Summit (14-7)
5. Gunnison (14-7)
6. Emery (13-7)
7. Manti (13-8)
8. Enterprise (13-9)
9. Richfield (11-8)
10. Merit Academy (11-8)
11. Parowan (11-10)
12. Summit Academy (11-10)
13. San Juan (11-10)
14. Kanab (9-10)
15. North Summit (8-12)
16. Waterford (6-14)
James Edward is the prep sports editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23