High school boys basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The first round of the 2A state tournament gets underway Friday at Orem High School, with the eight winners advancing to the quarterfinals at the Southern Utah University in Cedar City next Thursday. Defending state champion South Sevier heads into the playoffs on a 15-game winning streak and is on a collision course with No. 1 Wasatch Academy in the semifinals.
Reigning 2A MVP Race Parsons has scored 1,996 career points, and is just a few points away from becoming the sixth player in state history to sure pass 2,000 career points.
In order of winning percentage, these are the 16 teams that qualified for the 2A boys state basketball tournament this year:
1. Wasatch Academy (21-1)
2. South Sevier (18-3)
3. Beaver (15-3)
4. South Summit (14-7)
5. Gunnison (14-7)
6. Emery (13-7)
7. Manti (13-8)
8. Enterprise (13-9)
9. Richfield (11-8)
10. Merit Academy (11-8)
11. Parowan (11-10)
12. Summit Academy (11-10)
13. San Juan (11-10)
14. Kanab (9-10)
15. North Summit (8-12)
16. Waterford (6-14)
James Edward is the prep sports editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 59
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35