High school boys basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The first round of the 2A state tournament gets underway Friday at Orem High School, with the eight winners advancing to the quarterfinals at the Southern Utah University in Cedar City next Thursday. Defending state champion South Sevier heads into the playoffs on a 15-game winning streak and is on a collision course with No. 1 Wasatch Academy in the semifinals.
Reigning 2A MVP Race Parsons has scored 1,996 career points, and is just a few points away from becoming the sixth player in state history to sure pass 2,000 career points.
In order of winning percentage, these are the 16 teams that qualified for the 2A boys state basketball tournament this year:
1. Wasatch Academy (21-1)
2. South Sevier (18-3)
3. Beaver (15-3)
4. South Summit (14-7)
5. Gunnison (14-7)
6. Emery (13-7)
7. Manti (13-8)
8. Enterprise (13-9)
9. Richfield (11-8)
10. Merit Academy (11-8)
11. Parowan (11-10)
12. Summit Academy (11-10)
13. San Juan (11-10)
14. Kanab (9-10)
15. North Summit (8-12)
16. Waterford (6-14)
James Edward is the prep sports editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24