Man faces 27 felonies in Salt Lake, Davis freeway shootings
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting at a motorist and police on the Legacy Highway has now been charged with two other freeway shootings.
Marco Antonio Guizar, 37, was charged this week with 21 felonies: two counts of attempted murder, a first-degree felony; possession of a weapon by a restricted person, a second-degree felony; and 18 counts of illegally firing a gun, a third-degree felony.
On Jan. 15, Guizar fired three shots into a vehicle on I-215 near 3500 South, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court. The next day, police say he fired at least 15 times at a vehicle on I-215 near 1000 West. No one was injured in either incident.
Guizar was already charged with attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, and three counts of aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, in Farmington's 2nd District Court. On Jan. 16, prosecutors say Guizar fired at a vehicle on the Legacy Highway before leading police on a chase through Farmington and getting into a shootout with officers. No one was injured.
On Jan. 23, he was charged with two more counts of aggravated assault for allegedly brandishing a handgun at motorists near 4100 South and 6400 West and at 2500 Lake Park Blvd. on Jan. 16.
Guizar told police shortly after his arrest that he had recently used methamphetamine and cocaine, according to the charges.
In 2002, Guizar was sentenced to up to five years in the Utah State Prison on an aggravated assault conviction that involved domestic violence, according to court records. That same year, he was also sentenced to up to five years in prison for felony tampering of a witness or jury member.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12