Man claims sexual assault while passed out and handcuffed
LOGAN — A man who claims he was sexually assaulted while under arrest — passed out and handcuffed in a hospital room — has filed a federal civil lawsuit against the city of Logan and its police department.
Brett Jensen was arrested Jan. 20, 2012, and later convicted of intoxication. He was handcuffed and placed in a police patrol car following his arrest. On the way to jail he passed out, so the officer took him to Logan Regional Hospital, according to the lawsuit filed this week in U.S. District Court.
While he was left alone unconscious and handcuffed in a hospital room, Hal Weston, an emergency room technician, went into the room and performed oral sex on Jensen, according to the lawsuit.
Weston was charged in 1st District Court with forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony. The case is currently scheduled to go to trial in May.
On Jan. 13, Jensen filed a personal injury suit in 1st District Court against Weston, the hospital, Intermountain Healthcare, a doctor, Logan City, the Logan Police Department and some of its officers. Wednesday, police and the city were dismissed from the suit; however, they are now named in the new federal suit. Jensen claims Logan police officer James Gale turned a blind eye to what was happening and didn't stop the sexual assault when he had the chance.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11