Man claims sexual assault while passed out and handcuffed
LOGAN — A man who claims he was sexually assaulted while under arrest — passed out and handcuffed in a hospital room — has filed a federal civil lawsuit against the city of Logan and its police department.
Brett Jensen was arrested Jan. 20, 2012, and later convicted of intoxication. He was handcuffed and placed in a police patrol car following his arrest. On the way to jail he passed out, so the officer took him to Logan Regional Hospital, according to the lawsuit filed this week in U.S. District Court.
While he was left alone unconscious and handcuffed in a hospital room, Hal Weston, an emergency room technician, went into the room and performed oral sex on Jensen, according to the lawsuit.
Weston was charged in 1st District Court with forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony. The case is currently scheduled to go to trial in May.
On Jan. 13, Jensen filed a personal injury suit in 1st District Court against Weston, the hospital, Intermountain Healthcare, a doctor, Logan City, the Logan Police Department and some of its officers. Wednesday, police and the city were dismissed from the suit; however, they are now named in the new federal suit. Jensen claims Logan police officer James Gale turned a blind eye to what was happening and didn't stop the sexual assault when he had the chance.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in... 13