PROVO — Utah Valley Toastmasters has invited the public to its International and Tall Tales speech competition on Feb. 20 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation in Provo, 302 E. 1860 South.
A panel of judges will score and vote on each contestant with Tall Tales speeches limited to five minutes and International speeches limited to seven minutes.
While all speeches may be on the topic of the speaker’s choice, those who enter and compete in speech contests must follow the specific guidelines for topic and length.
Tall Tales must be of a highly exaggerated, improbable nature with a theme and humor or props may be used to support or illustrate the speech. International speech contestants must present an entirely new and different speech than those from any previous competition, with each contestant selecting their own topic.
“Winners at the club level progress on to the area speech contest, then district, semifinal, and on to international levels following the Toastmasters speech contest rules,” said Mark Hersom, president of Utah Valley Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership skills. The club meets each Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation.
For more information about this event and the club, email email@example.com.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Bank bomb scare prompts evacuation of...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14