PROVO — Utah Valley Toastmasters has invited the public to its International and Tall Tales speech competition on Feb. 20 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation in Provo, 302 E. 1860 South.
A panel of judges will score and vote on each contestant with Tall Tales speeches limited to five minutes and International speeches limited to seven minutes.
While all speeches may be on the topic of the speaker’s choice, those who enter and compete in speech contests must follow the specific guidelines for topic and length.
Tall Tales must be of a highly exaggerated, improbable nature with a theme and humor or props may be used to support or illustrate the speech. International speech contestants must present an entirely new and different speech than those from any previous competition, with each contestant selecting their own topic.
“Winners at the club level progress on to the area speech contest, then district, semifinal, and on to international levels following the Toastmasters speech contest rules,” said Mark Hersom, president of Utah Valley Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership skills. The club meets each Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation.
For more information about this event and the club, email email@example.com.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to surprise...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 38
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15