PROVO — Utah Valley Toastmasters has invited the public to its International and Tall Tales speech competition on Feb. 20 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation in Provo, 302 E. 1860 South.
A panel of judges will score and vote on each contestant with Tall Tales speeches limited to five minutes and International speeches limited to seven minutes.
While all speeches may be on the topic of the speaker’s choice, those who enter and compete in speech contests must follow the specific guidelines for topic and length.
Tall Tales must be of a highly exaggerated, improbable nature with a theme and humor or props may be used to support or illustrate the speech. International speech contestants must present an entirely new and different speech than those from any previous competition, with each contestant selecting their own topic.
“Winners at the club level progress on to the area speech contest, then district, semifinal, and on to international levels following the Toastmasters speech contest rules,” said Mark Hersom, president of Utah Valley Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership skills. The club meets each Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. at the Bureau of Reclamation.
For more information about this event and the club, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Q and A: The business of being Moab
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Motorcyclist dies after collision near Utah Lake
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 27
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15