PORTLAND — As announced by the league office on Wednesday, Utah Valley University's Tiffany Mills and Amanda Robinson captured the first Pacific Coast Softball Conference Players of the Week accolades of the 2013 season.
The duo were instrumental in helping the Wolverines to a 4-1 mark at the Red Desert Classic in St. George, Utah, last weekend. While there, UVU picked up wins against South Dakota, Southern Utah, Oklahoma State and Nevada.
A senior from Riverside, Calif., Mills picked up PCSC Pitcher of the Week recognition after going 3-0 last weekend, all complete games. She allowed just two earned in 19.0 innings pitched for an ERA of just 0.74. After a four-hit shutout and 10 strikeouts against SUU, Mills went on to allow just one run and five hits against OSU of the Big 12, and one run and seven hits in an 11-1 victory over Nevada.
Also in consideration for Pitcher of the Week was Sydney Gouveia, a freshman out of Loyola Marymount. Gouveia went 1-1 with a 3.29 ERA and 22 strikeouts last week.
On her way to Player of the Week accolades, Robinson batted .500 (8-for-16) last weekend with one home run and three RBIs. She recorded a hit in each of the Wolverines' five games, including a trio of two-hit outings. Her lone home run, a two-run shot, came in Sunday's win over Nevada. Robinson wrapped up the weekend with an .813 slugging percentage and a .556 on-base percentage.
Also earning PCSC Player of the Week consideration were Marissa Bravo, a freshman outfielder out of BYU, and Loyola Marymount third baseman Meghan Harman.
The Wolverines are back in action this weekend with another five-game, three-day invitational at the Easton Desert Classic in Las Vegas. UVU opens the weekend with Long Beach State and San Jose State on Friday, meets No. 9 Cal and host UNLV on Saturday, then finishes with No. 20 Hawai'i Sunday.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 69
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 43