Utah Jazz: Thunder strike but Jazz roll to 109-94 blowout win over Oklahoma City
"It was a great effort. I thought our defense for the most part during the whole game was pretty good," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "Although they shot (56) percent, I thought we played an aggressive defense. We were back in transition. We controlled the easy baskets for the most part of the game. That was key for us — making them make tough shots."
Speaking of tough shots, the Thunder certainly gave the Jazz some of those.
Perkins swiped at Jefferson's face and then elbowed him in the back of the neck in the first half, picking up a technical and a Flagrant 1 foul.
Durant joined the act midway through the fourth quarter, doing a full-body sideswipe of Burks. That resulted in the Thunder star receiving his first-ever flagrant foul (penalty 1).
Players then had to be separated after Carroll approached Durant, and the OKC forward pushed him away. Both players got Ts for that little brouhaha.
"They just kicked our (behinds)," Durant said. "They outrebounded us (38-26). They scored in the paint. We turned the ball over and we just gave them the game, and they executed on everything we did."
While the Thunder lost their cool and their usual dominant edge, the Jazz remained focused and continued playing well despite the physicality of the game.
On this night, Utah's retaliation came on the scoreboard.
"We talked to the guys about playing and playing aggressive but being smart about it — not doing anything crazy," Corbin said. "We're not out there trying to hurt anybody but we want to play with a certain sense of urgency and sense of aggressiveness, and that's who we want to be and that's who we are."
Corbin especially appreciated his team's intensity and effort — something that would come in handy again tonight at Minnesota where the Jazz play their last game before the All-Star break.
"Our energy on both ends of the floor was great. That gave us extra possessions because of that," Corbin said. "The guys did a great job in understanding the sense of urgency and how important this game was for us. We want the same kind of effort (tonight)."
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 157
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 107
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29