Man attempting drive-by shooting crashes car, police say
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — A man police say was attempting a drive-by shooting at an apartment complex didn't get far.
As he took his eyes off the road, he crashed into a parking structure and a cement post about 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Callaway Apartments, 1141 W. 3900 South.
Unified police detective Ken Hansen said it appears the only thing the man shot before he crashed was a truck parked nearby. The man, believed to be in his 20s, is in police custody, but his name had not been released Tuesday night. The weapon used in the shooting also has been recovered.
"He was shooting at a man who was walking through the apartment complex," Hansen said. "There may be some gang affiliation with this case. It's a little too soon to tell, but there's some appearance of that."
Because the man initially appeared to be a victim, police began looking for a second party before it became clear what had happened, Hansen said. The man was alone in the car at the time of the incident.
The man could face attempted homicide charges, Hansen said.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16