YORBA LINDA, Calif. – The BYU women’s golf team shot a final round 326 (+38) to finish in ninth place at The Gold Rush, one stroke behind eighth-place CSU Fullerton.
Long Beach State, the school that hosted the tournament, shot a 54-hole total 917 (+53) to win the tournament by 10 strokes over second-place Gonzaga. BYU finished with a 54-hole total 967 (+103), while conference foe Santa Clara (+100) finished in seventh place, three strokes better than BYU.
“It’s disappointing,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “I thought we should have played better. We started off rough and finished rough again. I would have liked to have seen something better.”
Freshman Lea Garner had her best tournament as a Cougar, finishing The Gold Rush tied for 34th and shooting a 54-hole total 243 (+27). She showed consistency throughout the tournament and shot a final round 82 (+10).
“Lea’s going to be really good for us,” Roberts said. “She just needs a little more experience and is pretty steady and has a pretty consistent game. She’ll for sure be a leader on this team.”
Junior Annika Afoa Kahaiali’i had the best round of the day for the Cougars converting 13 pars to shoot an eight-over-par 80. Kahaiali’i shot a 54-hole total 244 (+28) to finish tied for 37th. Senior Amanda Keith and junior Selu Fotu finished tied for 49th shooting a 54-hole total 248 (+32).
BYU resumes spring tournament play on Feb. 25-26 as it travels to Santa Ana, Calif., to compete in the 2013 UC Irvine Invitational. The winner of the tournament will receive a sponsor exemption into the 2013 Kia Classic of the LPGA tour.
Live stats of the UC Irvine Invitational can be followed at golfstat.com.
1 Long Beach State +53
2 Gonzaga +63
3 UC Irvine +74
4 San Diego State +77
5 Portland State +87
6 Washington State +88
7 Santa Clara +100
8 CSU Fullerton +102
9 BYU +103
10 Nevada +107
11 CSU-Northridge +112
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 39
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19
- Utah basketball: No. 14 Runnin' Utes... 18