YORBA LINDA, Calif. – The BYU women’s golf team shot a final round 326 (+38) to finish in ninth place at The Gold Rush, one stroke behind eighth-place CSU Fullerton.
Long Beach State, the school that hosted the tournament, shot a 54-hole total 917 (+53) to win the tournament by 10 strokes over second-place Gonzaga. BYU finished with a 54-hole total 967 (+103), while conference foe Santa Clara (+100) finished in seventh place, three strokes better than BYU.
“It’s disappointing,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “I thought we should have played better. We started off rough and finished rough again. I would have liked to have seen something better.”
Freshman Lea Garner had her best tournament as a Cougar, finishing The Gold Rush tied for 34th and shooting a 54-hole total 243 (+27). She showed consistency throughout the tournament and shot a final round 82 (+10).
“Lea’s going to be really good for us,” Roberts said. “She just needs a little more experience and is pretty steady and has a pretty consistent game. She’ll for sure be a leader on this team.”
Junior Annika Afoa Kahaiali’i had the best round of the day for the Cougars converting 13 pars to shoot an eight-over-par 80. Kahaiali’i shot a 54-hole total 244 (+28) to finish tied for 37th. Senior Amanda Keith and junior Selu Fotu finished tied for 49th shooting a 54-hole total 248 (+32).
BYU resumes spring tournament play on Feb. 25-26 as it travels to Santa Ana, Calif., to compete in the 2013 UC Irvine Invitational. The winner of the tournament will receive a sponsor exemption into the 2013 Kia Classic of the LPGA tour.
Live stats of the UC Irvine Invitational can be followed at golfstat.com.
1 Long Beach State +53
2 Gonzaga +63
3 UC Irvine +74
4 San Diego State +77
5 Portland State +87
6 Washington State +88
7 Santa Clara +100
8 CSU Fullerton +102
9 BYU +103
10 Nevada +107
11 CSU-Northridge +112
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU looking to make a big splash at Maui...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment, commits...
- BYU looking for strong finish in intriguing...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham says Utes didn't...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 155
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 77
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 40
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 30
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 27
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 25