NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Tina Doughty has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to two wins last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Doughty, a sophomore from Granbury, Texas, led the Wolverines to wins over NJIT and Walla Walla last week as she averaged 21.5 ppg in the two games. Doughty hit 11 threes (11-of-16) in the two games, which included setting a new single-game UVU record with eight (8-of-10) against Walla Walla. The guard had a game-high 27 points in the game and also led the Wolverines to a crucial conference win over NJIT (64-47) on Saturday with a game-high 16 points to propel UVU into first place in the GWC standings with a 4-1 record. Doughty continued her hot shooting by going 3-of-6 from distance against the Highlanders while adding two assists, two rebounds and a steal.
The conference honor is Doughty's first of the season and first of her career.
Doughty will look to lead the Wolverines to two more wins this week, as UVU will hit the road to face New Orleans on Thursday and Texas-Pan American on Saturday.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20