With every text, long distance call, tweet using #BellLetsTalk or Facebook share, 5 cents will be donated to mental health care by Canadian company Bell on Feb. 12 in order to raise awareness.
Why all the buzz? Aside from being widespread and debilitating, mental illness is expensive. Costs reached $2.5 trillion globally in 2010, according to an article by the National Institute of Mental Health. The organization projects that by 2030 that number will increase to over $6 trillion.
Seen in comparison to the entire global health spending in 2009 of $5.1 trillion, that number appears huge.
How do those with a mental illness handle these costs? Lisa Zamosky, a writer who formerly worked in health insurance, offers resources that can help save on the high costs of mental health in an article on WebMD.
Community mental health agencies
Services are offered on a sliding scale for mental health and substance abuse. You can find out where these are through the state or county health department.
This group helps to connect people to hotlines, support groups, mental health agencies around the country and self-help resources.
Also known as SAMHSA, the organization has a mental health locator and substance abuse locator to nearby services.
Since these are training grounds for graduate students studying mental health, you can sometimes receive lower-cost care by seeing a student. Professionals supervise them.
With a directory for mental health professionals in your area, this also shows therapists fees, what insurance they accept and whether they work on a sliding fee scale.
Medicare beneficiaries can search for a psychiatrist who accepts Medicare.
- Dave Ramsey says: You can have a wedding...
- Can you put a price on parent-child quality...
- Everything you need to know about year-end...
- More young women are living at home now than...
- Appalachia grasps for hope as coal loses its...
- Governor proposes pay raise for state liquor...
- Michelle Singletary: Plan for money and...
- Balancing act: Build better balance by...
- Local free community college plans may... 8
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and... 4
- Governor proposes pay raise for state... 3
- More young women are living at home now... 2
- Dave Ramsey says: You can have a... 2
- Black Friday store sales fall as... 1
- Appalachia grasps for hope as coal... 1
- Michelle Singletary: Plan for money and... 1