With every text, long distance call, tweet using #BellLetsTalk or Facebook share, 5 cents will be donated to mental health care by Canadian company Bell on Feb. 12 in order to raise awareness.
Why all the buzz? Aside from being widespread and debilitating, mental illness is expensive. Costs reached $2.5 trillion globally in 2010, according to an article by the National Institute of Mental Health. The organization projects that by 2030 that number will increase to over $6 trillion.
Seen in comparison to the entire global health spending in 2009 of $5.1 trillion, that number appears huge.
How do those with a mental illness handle these costs? Lisa Zamosky, a writer who formerly worked in health insurance, offers resources that can help save on the high costs of mental health in an article on WebMD.
Community mental health agencies
Services are offered on a sliding scale for mental health and substance abuse. You can find out where these are through the state or county health department.
This group helps to connect people to hotlines, support groups, mental health agencies around the country and self-help resources.
Also known as SAMHSA, the organization has a mental health locator and substance abuse locator to nearby services.
Since these are training grounds for graduate students studying mental health, you can sometimes receive lower-cost care by seeing a student. Professionals supervise them.
With a directory for mental health professionals in your area, this also shows therapists fees, what insurance they accept and whether they work on a sliding fee scale.
Medicare beneficiaries can search for a psychiatrist who accepts Medicare.
- Could a teenager's science fair project save...
- Piketty's charge: How a French economist...
- Student debt holds back many would-be home...
- Equity, not debt: a whole new way to invest...
- Maybe you shouldn't look for your dream job
- Recent college graduates feeling the pinch of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 20
- Recent college graduates feeling the... 20
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- Why small businesses want a higher... 9
- Student debt holds back many would-be... 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats... 6
- 9 things to never buy at yard sales 4