Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University sophomore heavyweight Adam Fager (Layton, Utah/Layton HS) has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week after his performance on the mat last week. The conference award was announced Tuesday by the league.
Fager picked up two wins for UVU last week in the Dakotas, which included a big victory over North Dakota State's Evan Knutson on Friday.
The Utah Valley heavyweight began the trip with a crucial 5-0 decision over South Dakota State's J.J. Everard. The match sealed the dual victory for the Wolverines as Fager entered the final bout with his team leading the Jacks by just a point. Fager then followed it up by defeating NDSU's Knutson, ranked 31st in the first NCAA Coaches' Panel, 3-2. Fager's win over Knutson concluded the dual against the No. 25 Bison, which UVU hung with the ranked conference foe and lost just 18-15.
With the two victories, Fager is now 17-9 on the season and 5-3 in duals.
The conference honor is Fager's first of the season and first of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
Fager and the Wolverines will be back in action Wednesday as they take on No. 23 Boise State in Boise, Idaho. UVU will then come home for its final dual of the season against Air Force on Saturday.
North Dakota State: Steven Monk, 165 pounds, Jr. (Wausau, Wis./Wausau West HS)
Northern Colorado: Mitchell Polkowske, 157 pounds, So. (LaJara, Colo./Centauri HS)
South Dakota State: Brance Simms, 133 pounds, Fr. (Gilmore City, Iowa/Humboldt HS)
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 70
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 50
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 30