Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University sophomore heavyweight Adam Fager (Layton, Utah/Layton HS) has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week after his performance on the mat last week. The conference award was announced Tuesday by the league.
Fager picked up two wins for UVU last week in the Dakotas, which included a big victory over North Dakota State's Evan Knutson on Friday.
The Utah Valley heavyweight began the trip with a crucial 5-0 decision over South Dakota State's J.J. Everard. The match sealed the dual victory for the Wolverines as Fager entered the final bout with his team leading the Jacks by just a point. Fager then followed it up by defeating NDSU's Knutson, ranked 31st in the first NCAA Coaches' Panel, 3-2. Fager's win over Knutson concluded the dual against the No. 25 Bison, which UVU hung with the ranked conference foe and lost just 18-15.
With the two victories, Fager is now 17-9 on the season and 5-3 in duals.
The conference honor is Fager's first of the season and first of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
Fager and the Wolverines will be back in action Wednesday as they take on No. 23 Boise State in Boise, Idaho. UVU will then come home for its final dual of the season against Air Force on Saturday.
North Dakota State: Steven Monk, 165 pounds, Jr. (Wausau, Wis./Wausau West HS)
Northern Colorado: Mitchell Polkowske, 157 pounds, So. (LaJara, Colo./Centauri HS)
South Dakota State: Brance Simms, 133 pounds, Fr. (Gilmore City, Iowa/Humboldt HS)
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6