In an interview with New York Daily News, Brooklyn Nets general manager Billy King says he thinks that struggling point guard Deron Williams will return to top form.
Williams has been plagued with injuries and has seen his production drop in almost every statistical category since leaving the Jazz. In his last full season in Utah (2009), Williams averaged 18.7 points and 10.5 assists per game.
This season, his second full season with the Nets and first in Brooklyn, Williams is averaging 16.7 points and 7.6 assists per game, every one of which he has started. Currently Williams is out through the All-Star break nursing inflamed ankles.
"Am I confident he’s going to get back to being Deron Williams? Yes."
Two years ago, the Nets traded Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, two first round draft picks and $3 million in cash to the Utah Jazz for Williams. In 2012 King was instrumental in getting Williams signed to a five-year, $98.7 million deal with Brooklyn.
Owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the franchise, has not been hesitant to shake things up. Coach Avery Johnson was fired in December after being named the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for October and November 2012 following an 11-4 start.
Now more than ever, King has been forced to justify his actions.
“I think the same questions were asked last year about Carmelo Anthony when [the Knicks] were struggling and people were writing him off, saying is he’s not the same player. I think he bounced back this year.”
Read more on New York Daily News.
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- Morning links: Calipari's subtle jab at Salt...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 65
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 48
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27