In an interview with New York Daily News, Brooklyn Nets general manager Billy King says he thinks that struggling point guard Deron Williams will return to top form.
Williams has been plagued with injuries and has seen his production drop in almost every statistical category since leaving the Jazz. In his last full season in Utah (2009), Williams averaged 18.7 points and 10.5 assists per game.
This season, his second full season with the Nets and first in Brooklyn, Williams is averaging 16.7 points and 7.6 assists per game, every one of which he has started. Currently Williams is out through the All-Star break nursing inflamed ankles.
"Am I confident he’s going to get back to being Deron Williams? Yes."
Two years ago, the Nets traded Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, two first round draft picks and $3 million in cash to the Utah Jazz for Williams. In 2012 King was instrumental in getting Williams signed to a five-year, $98.7 million deal with Brooklyn.
Owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the franchise, has not been hesitant to shake things up. Coach Avery Johnson was fired in December after being named the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for October and November 2012 following an 11-4 start.
Now more than ever, King has been forced to justify his actions.
“I think the same questions were asked last year about Carmelo Anthony when [the Knicks] were struggling and people were writing him off, saying is he’s not the same player. I think he bounced back this year.”
Read more on New York Daily News.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29