BYU basketball: Out-of-state Cougar recruits are enjoying successful senior campaigns
“I really like that I’ll be playing with guys like (Eric) Mika and (Luke) Worthington because those guys will take care of the big guys inside and free some stuff up for me,” he said. “You want big, physical guys inside like that and I think it’s going to be a great situation for me and for everyone else who likes to play outside because they’re both so good inside.”
Shaw of Eagle, Idaho, is a lot like Jakob Hartsock with his physical makeup. He too is enjoying a successful senior campaign, although his team has struggled. Eagle High School is just 9-9 on the year and will limp into the district playoffs with a relatively young team.
The 6-foot-8 forward is averaging around 16 points and 10 rebounds per game while working to emulate current Cougar Tyler Haws.
“His midrange game is so good and I’ve worked hard to develop my midrange jumper and it’s paid off for me,” he said. “I’ve also worked on being more effective with my back to the basket and I like where my game is at right now.”
Shaw, like Jakob Hartsock, will opt to serve an LDS mission before enrolling at BYU, but is anxious for the future of the program.
“I’ve obviously followed Lone Peak and what they’ve done and I’ve kept in touch with Jakob (Hartsock) and other recruits and I think we could have a great team when we all play together,” he said. “Guys like Nick Emery, Eric Mika and TJ Haws — those guys are amazing and it’s going to be a blessing for me to be able to play with such great players. It’s going to be exciting and I can’t wait.”
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37