BYU basketball: Out-of-state Cougar recruits are enjoying successful senior campaigns
“I really like that I’ll be playing with guys like (Eric) Mika and (Luke) Worthington because those guys will take care of the big guys inside and free some stuff up for me,” he said. “You want big, physical guys inside like that and I think it’s going to be a great situation for me and for everyone else who likes to play outside because they’re both so good inside.”
Shaw of Eagle, Idaho, is a lot like Jakob Hartsock with his physical makeup. He too is enjoying a successful senior campaign, although his team has struggled. Eagle High School is just 9-9 on the year and will limp into the district playoffs with a relatively young team.
The 6-foot-8 forward is averaging around 16 points and 10 rebounds per game while working to emulate current Cougar Tyler Haws.
“His midrange game is so good and I’ve worked hard to develop my midrange jumper and it’s paid off for me,” he said. “I’ve also worked on being more effective with my back to the basket and I like where my game is at right now.”
Shaw, like Jakob Hartsock, will opt to serve an LDS mission before enrolling at BYU, but is anxious for the future of the program.
“I’ve obviously followed Lone Peak and what they’ve done and I’ve kept in touch with Jakob (Hartsock) and other recruits and I think we could have a great team when we all play together,” he said. “Guys like Nick Emery, Eric Mika and TJ Haws — those guys are amazing and it’s going to be a blessing for me to be able to play with such great players. It’s going to be exciting and I can’t wait.”
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48