BYU basketball: Out-of-state Cougar recruits are enjoying successful senior campaigns
“I really like that I’ll be playing with guys like (Eric) Mika and (Luke) Worthington because those guys will take care of the big guys inside and free some stuff up for me,” he said. “You want big, physical guys inside like that and I think it’s going to be a great situation for me and for everyone else who likes to play outside because they’re both so good inside.”
Shaw of Eagle, Idaho, is a lot like Jakob Hartsock with his physical makeup. He too is enjoying a successful senior campaign, although his team has struggled. Eagle High School is just 9-9 on the year and will limp into the district playoffs with a relatively young team.
The 6-foot-8 forward is averaging around 16 points and 10 rebounds per game while working to emulate current Cougar Tyler Haws.
“His midrange game is so good and I’ve worked hard to develop my midrange jumper and it’s paid off for me,” he said. “I’ve also worked on being more effective with my back to the basket and I like where my game is at right now.”
Shaw, like Jakob Hartsock, will opt to serve an LDS mission before enrolling at BYU, but is anxious for the future of the program.
“I’ve obviously followed Lone Peak and what they’ve done and I’ve kept in touch with Jakob (Hartsock) and other recruits and I think we could have a great team when we all play together,” he said. “Guys like Nick Emery, Eric Mika and TJ Haws — those guys are amazing and it’s going to be a blessing for me to be able to play with such great players. It’s going to be exciting and I can’t wait.”
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 33