3 killed, 1 hospitalized in Midvale shootings

Landlord was evicting 2 from what police called a 'known narcotics house'

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 12 2013 9:25 a.m. MST

The vehicle Fresques was believed to be driving was found a couple of hours after the shootings at the Motel 6 in Midvale, 7263 S. Catalpa Road. For several hours, police blocked off the area around the motel as a SWAT team went room to room looking for Fresques. They did not find him.

Hoyal said it was unknown whether Fresques walked away from the parking lot after ditching his car or if someone else picked him up.

Seven schools in the area — Midvale Middle School, Midvale Elementary, Sandy Elementary, Midvalley Elementary, Jordan Valley Elementary, Copperview Elementary and East Sandy Elementary — were temporarily put in lockdown as a precaution and officers were also dispatched to each school building.

The lockdowns were lifted after a couple of hours, but officers remained at each school for the remainder of the day as a precaution.

Hoyal emphasized that the lockdowns were ordered only as a precaution and said there was "no inherent threat to the schools."

Still, many were shaken by the highly visible presence of law enforcement.

"It makes me really scared knowing that this person is still at large and knowing he's still out there. I'm just filled with terror, and I hope my teachers and principal and all those people at school are OK," said Nick Gorton, a student at Copperview Elementary.

Some staying at Motel 6 also said they were nervous.

“With all the police, I feel safe with that. But with the shooting, the kids are terrified, and I don’t feel safe," said Lisa Madina. “We feel very scared because of the sniper situation. There are about six of them up on the top of the building across from us, and I’m right on the south side of the building. I’m facing all of this. I can see all of this."

Investigators also sought to obtain a search warrant to thoroughly go through the house where the shootings occurred. Fresques' vehicle was towed to a police evidence garage where a second warrant was expected to be obtained before investigators went through it.

According to Utah state court records, Fresques was sentenced to one to 15 years at the Utah State Prison in 2007 for robbery and simple assault. Most recently, he was charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication in September. At that time, the court listed his address as a Main Street residence in Midvale, not far from the shooting scene.

Fresques' criminal record also includes convictions for forgery in 2011 in which he was sentenced to one year in jail; forgery and a weapons violation in 2007; criminal trespassing on school property and possession of drug paraphernalia in another 2007 case in which he was sentenced to six months in jail; illegally carrying a concealed weapon in 2006; and disorderly conduct, also in 2006.

Anyone with information on Fresques or the killings is asked call police at 801-743-7000. Police say Fresques and the unknown man who assisted him should both be considered armed and dangerous.

E-mail: preavy@desnews.com

Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere