Tom Smart, Deseret News
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under way this Friday with eight games at Orem High School. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to Southern Utah University. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but the Wildcats were the team to beat last year as well and were upset in the quarterfinals by North Summit.
Defending state champion Beaver is ranked second in 2A heading into the state tournament, but it dropped a 48-37 game to Richfield back on Dec. 20.
These are the teams that qualified for this year’s tournament
1. American Leadership (13-8)
2. Beaver Beavers (18-4)
3. Emery Spartans (11-7)
4. Enterprise Wolves (14-7)
5. Gunnison Bulldogs (11-10)
6. Kanab Cowboys (10-9)
7. Manti Templars (9-11)
8. North Sevier Wolves (11-9)
9. North Summit Braves (16-5)
10. Parowan Rams (12-8)
11. Richfield Wildcats (18-2)
12. San Juan Broncos (8-11)
13. South Sevier Rams (9-11)
14. South Summit Wildcats (9-9)
15. Summit Academy Bears (10-10)
16. Waterford Ravens (10-9)
James Edward is the Prep Editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 46