ST. GEORGE — Utah Valley University golfer Michael Dart was two-over par through four holes Monday in the opening round of the SUU Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational but shot two-under on his final 14 holes to finish at even par.
Dart sits in a tie for 10th heading into Tuesday's final round at the par-72, 6,879-yard Sunbrook Golf Club.
Dart shot a 34 on the front nine and 38 on the back in recording the even-par 72. Teammate Corey Eccles is tied for 19th after shooting a two-over 74 (37-37).
As a team, the Wolverines are in sixth place, one shot behind Utah State and Denver and seven shots back of second-place Seattle.
College of Charleston leads the tournament at 286.
"With the winter we've had we are still knocking off a lot of rust," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "Even though we are in sixth, we are still within striking distance of a very solid finish."
Behind Dart and Eccles, Mason Casper (76) is tied for 36th, while Brayden Eriksen (77) and Stratton Schulz (80) are tied for 50th and 72nd, respectively.
Four players are tied for first after shooting opening-round 70s, while five others are tied for fifth after shooting 71s.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37