USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 100
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 22
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16