USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- Danny Berger and Jordan Stone to play at...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 49
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 46
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 42
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 41
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 36
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Should the Jazz intentionally lose to... 23