USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 66
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27