USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24