USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 67
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29