USU tennis: Matt Sweet named WAC men's tennis player of the week
Utah State's Matt Sweet was named the Western Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 4-10.
Sweet, a sophomore from Salt Lake City, Utah (Cottonwood H.S.), completed a nearly undefeated week in the Aggies' three matches against Weber State, Montana State and Utah. This was his first career WAC honor and the first men's tennis player to be honored this spring.
Sweet went 2-1 last week, playing in No. 4 singles position, and 3-0 with partner Andrew Whiting at No. 3 doubles. Sweet lost only one match in singles play when he fell to Utah's Ben Tasevac, 6-4, 7-5, Saturday. On Friday, Sweet was victorious over Harry James of Montana State, 6-4, 6-4.
He also defeated Sanjay Goswami of Weber State, 7-6, 6-1 on Wednesday.
In doubles play, Sweet and Whiting won on Wednesday (8-7), Friday (8-4) and against Utah on Saturday (8-6).
The Aggies will come back to Logan this weekend where they will take on Idaho and Mesa State in back-to-back matches Saturday. Play will begin at 9:30 a.m. and take place at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 29
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26