Bill requiring display of POW/MIA flag on certain holidays passes House committee
Steve Helber, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring the state Capitol to display the flag that honors prisoners of war and soldiers missing in action on six national holidays unanimously passed a House committee Monday.
"Forty-eight Utah women and men are reported missing in action at this time," said Rep. John Westwood, R-Cedar City, sponsor of HB62. "We need to recognize these people."
The bill originally proposed to require all government entities in Utah to display the POW/MIA flag on Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day and National POW/MIA Recognition Day.
The substitute bill approved by the House Political Subdivisions Committee calls for four locations at the Capitol complex to display the POW/MIA flag beneath the U.S. and Utah flags on the same flag pole on those six dates.
"We are all supportive of the idea, in concept," said Rep. Spencer J. Cox, R-Fairview. "The practical application of that is what caused some concern. … Hopefully this will give more encouragement to those around the state to voluntarily post this flag as well."
Joe Call, with the Utah Eagle Forum, voiced his support for the bill.
"All three of my sons served in Iraq, and my brother served in Vietnam, as well as my father in WWII," Call said. "Too many times the POWs are forgotten, and I think this would be a great way to acknowledge those people."
The bill will now go before the full House for consideration.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9