Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Jason Johnson has been named Great West Conference Player of the Week after helping the Wolverines to a GWC victory on Saturday. The award was announced Monday by the conference office.
Johnson matched teammate Ben Aird for game-high scoring honors with 15 points, while dishing out a career-high five assists, in UVU’s 66-49 win over then-league-leading Texas-Pan American.
"It's a really nice honor and recognition for Jason," coach Dick Hunsaker said. "I hope that this will be a confidence boost to his game-in and game-out consistency."
The junior from Reseda, Calif., connected on 62.5 percent (5-of-8) of his field goals, including 75 percent (3-of-4) from beyond the arc, and defensively held UTPA’s leading scorer Brandon Provost to four points.
Johnson's performance highlighted several outstanding nominated performances during the week. Jeremy Robinson scored a game-high 20 points in Chicago State’s 63-58 loss to NJIT; Art Bernandi led Houston Baptist to two wins last week with a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds in a 66-45 win against UMKC and 23 points in a 75-68 overtime road win at New Orleans; Ryan Woods scored 26 points for NJIT in a 77-58 road victory at Colgate, hitting 10-of-12 from the field including a career-tying six 3-pointers; and Jesus Delgado scored 14 points and pulled down eight rebounds in a 75-73 overtime road loss at New Orleans and scored 14 points again in the loss at Utah Valley.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14