Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
Between the passing of a BYU broadcasting legend and the UHSAA Utah swimming and diving championships, there was plenty of action on the docket this weekend.
BYU broadcasting pioneer Jay Monson passed away over the weekend. Monson did radio and TV broadcasts of BYU sports for decades. Later, he served in the school’s electronic media relations department. Today we are taking a look back at him and his life.
Additionally, the eyes of the Utah high school sports scene turned to the pool over the weekend. The 3A, 4A and 5A high school swimming championships went down at BYU. Both Brighton and Wasatch swept 5A and 3A respectively, and it was a wire finish in 4A between Mountain Crest and Springville.
In the midst of the swimming action, Amy Donaldson took a closer look at a student who stayed in the pool to pursue her dreams despite dealing with a debilitating heart defect.
Throw in the only men's basketball team from the state of Utah that got a win last week, and you have a dash of the finest sports content over the weekend.
Take a closer look at the weekend's sports news, starting with the passing of Jay Monson.
See the full list of these eight weekend sports stories you might have missed: Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26