Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
Between the passing of a BYU broadcasting legend and the UHSAA Utah swimming and diving championships, there was plenty of action on the docket this weekend.
BYU broadcasting pioneer Jay Monson passed away over the weekend. Monson did radio and TV broadcasts of BYU sports for decades. Later, he served in the school’s electronic media relations department. Today we are taking a look back at him and his life.
Additionally, the eyes of the Utah high school sports scene turned to the pool over the weekend. The 3A, 4A and 5A high school swimming championships went down at BYU. Both Brighton and Wasatch swept 5A and 3A respectively, and it was a wire finish in 4A between Mountain Crest and Springville.
In the midst of the swimming action, Amy Donaldson took a closer look at a student who stayed in the pool to pursue her dreams despite dealing with a debilitating heart defect.
Throw in the only men's basketball team from the state of Utah that got a win last week, and you have a dash of the finest sports content over the weekend.
Take a closer look at the weekend's sports news, starting with the passing of Jay Monson.
See the full list of these eight weekend sports stories you might have missed: Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41