Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
Between the passing of a BYU broadcasting legend and the UHSAA Utah swimming and diving championships, there was plenty of action on the docket this weekend.
BYU broadcasting pioneer Jay Monson passed away over the weekend. Monson did radio and TV broadcasts of BYU sports for decades. Later, he served in the school’s electronic media relations department. Today we are taking a look back at him and his life.
Additionally, the eyes of the Utah high school sports scene turned to the pool over the weekend. The 3A, 4A and 5A high school swimming championships went down at BYU. Both Brighton and Wasatch swept 5A and 3A respectively, and it was a wire finish in 4A between Mountain Crest and Springville.
In the midst of the swimming action, Amy Donaldson took a closer look at a student who stayed in the pool to pursue her dreams despite dealing with a debilitating heart defect.
Throw in the only men's basketball team from the state of Utah that got a win last week, and you have a dash of the finest sports content over the weekend.
Take a closer look at the weekend's sports news, starting with the passing of Jay Monson.
See the full list of these eight weekend sports stories you might have missed: Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32