Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
Between the passing of a BYU broadcasting legend and the UHSAA Utah swimming and diving championships, there was plenty of action on the docket this weekend.
BYU broadcasting pioneer Jay Monson passed away over the weekend. Monson did radio and TV broadcasts of BYU sports for decades. Later, he served in the school’s electronic media relations department. Today we are taking a look back at him and his life.
Additionally, the eyes of the Utah high school sports scene turned to the pool over the weekend. The 3A, 4A and 5A high school swimming championships went down at BYU. Both Brighton and Wasatch swept 5A and 3A respectively, and it was a wire finish in 4A between Mountain Crest and Springville.
In the midst of the swimming action, Amy Donaldson took a closer look at a student who stayed in the pool to pursue her dreams despite dealing with a debilitating heart defect.
Throw in the only men's basketball team from the state of Utah that got a win last week, and you have a dash of the finest sports content over the weekend.
Take a closer look at the weekend's sports news, starting with the passing of Jay Monson.
See the full list of these eight weekend sports stories you might have missed: Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25