Doing the same thing over and over can be not just monotonous but also ineffective, such as when you vacuum and find that one piece of lint that just refuses to be sucked away, so you pick it up, look at it, and then throw it back on the floor hoping this time the vacuum will get it.
With cooking, doing the same thing repeatedly can also be boring. Take side dishes: most are either full of starch like potatoes or rice or are a single vegetable. Even salads can start following the same old pattern of lettuce, tomatoes and dressing.
My cucumber onion salad is a unique and fresh way to liven up your meal. It is crisp and flavorful and can be made even a day in advance. So break out of the mold and try something different for dinner. This salad pairs well with just about any main course.
My granddaughter loves this salad, and what makes it even better is having her pick the cucumbers from the garden — especially when they were growing out of control.
While it may still be freezing outside now, this dish will give you a little taste of the harvest and warmer days!
BELLE'S CUCUMBER ONION SALAD
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups peeled and thinly sliced cucumber
1 cup thinly sliced onion
Mix together the sour cream, vinegar and sugar. Add the cucumber and onion and stir to coat well. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood?
- John Lennon audio interviews surface on 'I'm...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Can you name the celebrity voices behind...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 37
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24
- Get married, stay married? No fault... 14
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 12
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood? 8
- How early is too early for education? 6