Doing the same thing over and over can be not just monotonous but also ineffective, such as when you vacuum and find that one piece of lint that just refuses to be sucked away, so you pick it up, look at it, and then throw it back on the floor hoping this time the vacuum will get it.
With cooking, doing the same thing repeatedly can also be boring. Take side dishes: most are either full of starch like potatoes or rice or are a single vegetable. Even salads can start following the same old pattern of lettuce, tomatoes and dressing.
My cucumber onion salad is a unique and fresh way to liven up your meal. It is crisp and flavorful and can be made even a day in advance. So break out of the mold and try something different for dinner. This salad pairs well with just about any main course.
My granddaughter loves this salad, and what makes it even better is having her pick the cucumbers from the garden — especially when they were growing out of control.
While it may still be freezing outside now, this dish will give you a little taste of the harvest and warmer days!
BELLE'S CUCUMBER ONION SALAD
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups peeled and thinly sliced cucumber
1 cup thinly sliced onion
Mix together the sour cream, vinegar and sugar. Add the cucumber and onion and stir to coat well. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Our marriage has eroded, and I'm glad it has
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Carrie Underwood responds with prayers to her...
- Blogger Stephanie Nielson says family was her...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Toddler basketball star,... 4
- Food Storage Essentials: What about... 3