Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Health care costs are one of the biggest family expenses, but there are six simple ways to shave down on those costs, according to an article by The Confident Mom.
Flexible spending account
If your employer offers a flexible spending account, use it. It diverts pre-tax salary to cover out-of-pocket expenses on health care like co-pays, deductibles, orthodontia, over-the-counter medicines and fertility treatment.
For prescription medications, ordering them through the mail cuts the cost. You order three months of prescriptions at a lower rate than buying one month at a time. Ask the doctor what the generic equivalent to the drug is and use that.
Sometimes doctors have samples of a new drug. Sometimes you can get these samples and they last long enough to not get the prescription at all.
Before you buy the medicine, do a Google search on it to see it there are coupon offers.
Pharmacies sometimes offer discount cards. Compare pharmacies in your area to see what they offer on prescription discounts.
Extremely expensive medicine can be checked at sites like PharmacyChecker and DestinationRX, where you search for the drug to compare prices at online pharmacies. The online price may not be lower than those that the local pharmacy offers, though. Make sure the site you are searching is certified by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy by looking for a blue oval seal that says “VIPPS.”
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care of mom...
- Black Friday's biggest sellers
- Are extended warranties on gadgets worth the...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can diminish...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- 10 must-know facts about weather-related home...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 7
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can... 2
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement 2
- European Union fines global banks $2.3... 1
- Balancing act: Humility, confidence... 1