Regarding my mental well-being, I try to set aside some time for myself every day to read or think or otherwise use my brain in creative ways. I've also made a conscious effort to learn new things at work. I know I need to keep exercising my brain if I want it to stay sharp as I get older, and that's what I intend to do.
(Some may say writing a column comparing myself to a shovel proves that I need to work harder in this area. They might be right.)
Finally, my shovel never complains or whines, whether it's being used twice a day, every day, for a week or hangs on a nail in the shed, unused, for months at a time.
Again, this is something I should remember both in the office and at home. I know I'm fortunate to have a job that I enjoy and that allows me to support my family, and I shouldn't take that for granted.
At home, I shouldn't give in to the temptation to whine about how tired I am or how busy life can be. Instead, I should remember that being tired and busy is directly related to the fact that I have an active, amazing wife and four smart, healthy children who always have something scheduled.
In other words, I should count my blessings and not my perceived problems.
So there you have it. Perhaps such musings prove that this winter has lasted a little too long and is affecting my mental health. But I'm glad for the lessons of the shovel, nonetheless.
Speaking of which, I see a few flakes floating down from the sky. It looks like it's time to once again put that sturdy, dependable shovel to use.
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care of mom...
- Black Friday's biggest sellers
- Are extended warranties on gadgets worth the...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can diminish...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- 10 must-know facts about weather-related home...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 7
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can... 2
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement 2
- European Union fines global banks $2.3... 1
- Balancing act: Humility, confidence... 1