USU golf: Aggie golfers open 2013 spring season at Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational
The Utah State men's golf team will begin its 2013 spring season on Monday, Feb. 11, at the ninth annual Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Southern Utah University. The two-day tournament will be held at the Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George, Utah.
The 36-hole tournament will be contested over the Point and Woodbridge nines. The tournament will play at par-72 over the 6,879-yard layout.
Cal State Fullerton claimed the team championship last year with a 1-under 575, while Cal State Northridge’s Chris Russo was the individual champion with a score of 4-under par 140.
This year's 14-team field includes Boise State, Cal Poly, Cal State Bakersfield, College of Charleston, Denver, Dixie State, Idaho, Northern Colorado, Oral Roberts, Seattle U., Utah State, Utah Valley, Weber State and host Southern Utah.
Scheduled to compete for the Aggies will be senior Kris Sayer, juniors Tanner Higham and Zach Waxler, and freshmen Seokwon Jeon and Reed Platke. Two Aggies will also compete as individuals during the tournament in senior Brendan Dennis and sophomore Ryan Pearson.
During its fall season, Utah State played in five tournaments with its best finish coming at the Weber State hosted Battle in the Tetons as USU finished tied for third place out of eight teams.
Higham led Utah State during the fall season as he had a stroke average of 73.47 in 15 rounds including a career-best second-place finish at the U.S. Air Force hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational. Jeon had a stroke average of 74.13 in 15 rounds, Platke had a stroke average of 74.40 in 15 rounds, Sayer had a stroke average of 76.17 in 12 rounds, Dennis had a stroke average of 76.83 in 12 rounds and Waxler had a stroke average of 77.67 in three rounds. Pearson did not compete during the fall.
Last year, Utah State finished in ninth place at the Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational with a 27-over par 603 (298-305). Individually, Higham tied for seventh with a score of 1-under par 143 (70-73), while Dennis tied for 85th with a 20-over 164 (84-80).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 45
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25