UVU golf: Wolverines in Arizona for 2013 spring season opener
OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University women's golf team will open the 2013 spring season at The Lumberjack at Ocotillo on Monday.
The three-day 54-hole tournament, which concludes Wednesday, will be contested at the par-72, 6,302-yard Ocotillo Golf Resort in Chandler, Ariz.
"We are approaching the tournament with a lot of patience and optimism," UVU coach Sue Nyhus said. "It's our first opportunity to compete in three and a half months."
Along with Utah Valley and host Northern Arizona University, North Dakota, British Columbia, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, McNeese State, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah and Weber State will competed in the event that begins at 7:30 each morning.
The first two days, however, will be tee times, while the final day will be a shotgun start.
"We are excited to get the spring season started," Nyhus said. "Strength training coach Dave Stroshine has done an excellent job training and motivating our golfers to increase their strength and flexibility."
Senior Jordyn Dougal leads the Wolverines in stroke average at 76.82, followed by Lynn-Marie Nagel (77.38), Cassandra Lesa (79.90), Brooke Bliss (80.00) and Hannah Herman (81.15).
"Practicing on the golf simulator at the Provo Beach Resort has been helpful considering the cold, snowy winter we have experienced," Nyhus said.
Following the Lumberjack at Ocotillo, the Wolverines are in action at the Red Rocks Invitational on March 2-3 in Sedona, Ariz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 76
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 67
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 26
- High school recruiting: Jackson Barton,... 20