UVU golf: Wolverines in Arizona for 2013 spring season opener
OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University women's golf team will open the 2013 spring season at The Lumberjack at Ocotillo on Monday.
The three-day 54-hole tournament, which concludes Wednesday, will be contested at the par-72, 6,302-yard Ocotillo Golf Resort in Chandler, Ariz.
"We are approaching the tournament with a lot of patience and optimism," UVU coach Sue Nyhus said. "It's our first opportunity to compete in three and a half months."
Along with Utah Valley and host Northern Arizona University, North Dakota, British Columbia, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, McNeese State, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah and Weber State will competed in the event that begins at 7:30 each morning.
The first two days, however, will be tee times, while the final day will be a shotgun start.
"We are excited to get the spring season started," Nyhus said. "Strength training coach Dave Stroshine has done an excellent job training and motivating our golfers to increase their strength and flexibility."
Senior Jordyn Dougal leads the Wolverines in stroke average at 76.82, followed by Lynn-Marie Nagel (77.38), Cassandra Lesa (79.90), Brooke Bliss (80.00) and Hannah Herman (81.15).
"Practicing on the golf simulator at the Provo Beach Resort has been helpful considering the cold, snowy winter we have experienced," Nyhus said.
Following the Lumberjack at Ocotillo, the Wolverines are in action at the Red Rocks Invitational on March 2-3 in Sedona, Ariz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 74
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14