Weber State cannot afford letdown against Idaho State
Ravell Call, Deseret News
OGDEN — As the college basketball season tiptoes closer to the month of March, there isn’t time for rest or days off — the pillow can wait but the hoop cannot.
Weber State (16-5, 11-2) certainly can attest to the chaotic schedule as it prepares to play its second game in three days against Idaho State (4-18, 3-10) Monday at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. It will be the second of four games in seven days.
The Bengals are currently in the midst of a six-game slide, which ties their longest stretch of futility on the season. In the first meeting in Pocatello, Weber State picked up the 70-54 win behind Scott Bamforth and Davion Berry, who scored 17 and 16 points, respectively.
Albeit not known for offense, Idaho State is led by guards Melvin Morgan (11.8 ppg) and Tomas Sanchez (10.5 ppg) and forward Chris Hansen (10.8 ppg). The Bengals have only managed to score over 60 points five times this season while WSU is 10-0 when holding teams under the same margin.
Weber State strung together one of its finest defensively performances of the season in its recent win against Southern Utah. The ‘Cats held the Thunderbirds to 29 percent shooting, the lowest mark for both teams this season. The defensive pressure is a huge advantage against the highly outmatched Bengals, who rank last in the Big Sky in scoring production, scoring margin, field goal percentage, 3-point percentage, rebounding and rebounding margin.
With the drastic gap in talent level between the two programs, it could potentially inflict unwarranted problems considering the Big Sky game-of-the-year match-up with Montana is looming on Thursday. The key for WSU, which has won five straight over Idaho State in Ogden, is to jump out to an early lead. The ‘Cats are 14-2 when leading at halftime this season.
Wildcats on the Air
Idaho State (4-18, 3-10) at Weber State (16-5, 11-2)
Monday, 7 p.m.
Ogden, Dee Events Center
TV: Altitude 2
Online video: bigskytv.org
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @tphibbsami
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28