Weber State cannot afford letdown against Idaho State
Ravell Call, Deseret News
OGDEN — As the college basketball season tiptoes closer to the month of March, there isn’t time for rest or days off — the pillow can wait but the hoop cannot.
Weber State (16-5, 11-2) certainly can attest to the chaotic schedule as it prepares to play its second game in three days against Idaho State (4-18, 3-10) Monday at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. It will be the second of four games in seven days.
The Bengals are currently in the midst of a six-game slide, which ties their longest stretch of futility on the season. In the first meeting in Pocatello, Weber State picked up the 70-54 win behind Scott Bamforth and Davion Berry, who scored 17 and 16 points, respectively.
Albeit not known for offense, Idaho State is led by guards Melvin Morgan (11.8 ppg) and Tomas Sanchez (10.5 ppg) and forward Chris Hansen (10.8 ppg). The Bengals have only managed to score over 60 points five times this season while WSU is 10-0 when holding teams under the same margin.
Weber State strung together one of its finest defensively performances of the season in its recent win against Southern Utah. The ‘Cats held the Thunderbirds to 29 percent shooting, the lowest mark for both teams this season. The defensive pressure is a huge advantage against the highly outmatched Bengals, who rank last in the Big Sky in scoring production, scoring margin, field goal percentage, 3-point percentage, rebounding and rebounding margin.
With the drastic gap in talent level between the two programs, it could potentially inflict unwarranted problems considering the Big Sky game-of-the-year match-up with Montana is looming on Thursday. The key for WSU, which has won five straight over Idaho State in Ogden, is to jump out to an early lead. The ‘Cats are 14-2 when leading at halftime this season.
Wildcats on the Air
Idaho State (4-18, 3-10) at Weber State (16-5, 11-2)
Monday, 7 p.m.
Ogden, Dee Events Center
TV: Altitude 2
Online video: bigskytv.org
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @tphibbsami
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 27
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25