High school wrestling: Millard, Beaver claim victories in 2A divisional championships
RICHFIELD — The 2A wrestling divisional championships produced one runaway winner and one tight battle this weekend inside the Sevier Valley Center.
When all was said and done Saturday, Millard scored 368.5 points to easily beat South Sevier (225) and the rest of the field in Division A, while Beaver squeaked out an eight-and-a-half point win over North Sevier, 324-315.5, in Division B.
Millard had wrestlers in the championship match in 13 of 14 weight classifications and won eight championships. Grand County High School had three first-place winners while Richfield High School had two and South Sevier one.
In Division B, Beaver claimed five first-place finishes while North Sevier secured four. Manti had two first-place champions while Enterprise, South Summit and American Leadership Academy each had one.
Beaver head coach Robbie Bradshaw was thrilled for his team after they won their first divisional championship in many years. "Our kids worked hard", he said.
Millard, on the other hand, has now been in this familiar spot — at the top of its division — for many consecutive years.
The divisional tournament sets the seeding for eight wrestlers in each division for the upcoming state championships to be held this coming weekend at Utah Valley University. Millard is the clear favorite to repeat as 2A state champion but could be somewhat pushed by Beaver and North Sevier.
Gage Linquist of Grand County was named the mos outstanding wrestler in Division A lower weights, while Clearance Grant of South Sevier earned that honor in the upper-weight divisions. North Sevier's Brenden Sorenson received most outstanding wrestler honors in Divison B lower weights, while Anthony Gibson of Beaver won those honors in the upper-weight divisons.
1. Millard 368.5
2. S. Sevier 225.0
3. Gunnison 168.0
4. Emery 166.0
5. Richfield 163.5
6. Grand 144.0
7. Summit Academy 105.0
8. North Summit 90.0
9. Kanab 68.0
1-Tim White- Millard
7-Mason Meacham-South Sevier
4-Jaden Peterson-South Sevier
7-Nathan Clifford-Summit Academy
8-Houston Walbeck-Summit Academy
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16