High school wrestling: Delta, Wasatch capture 3A regional titles
Delta’s wrestling team flexed its depth muscles on Saturday to win the North-Central 3A regional, but only time will tell if that translates into another state championship next week.
Delta easily captured first place at the North-Central regional at the Sevier Valley Center, tallying 313 points with Payson well behind at 260.5 points.
The Rabbits finished with four individual champs and qualified 21 wrestlers to state. Because of a rule change in 3A this year, that depth won’t mean as much at state. Teams can only count points from one wrestler in each weight class toward the team standings at next week’s state tournament at UVU.
That’s great news for Payson.
Even though the Lions only qualified 13 wrestlers into the state tournament, they finished with five individual champs and that star power gives them a great chance at claiming the state title.
Delta’s individual champs were Jose Garcia (113), Bracken Lovell (120), Victor Almanza (126) and Cole Kimball (152).
Notable head-to-head championship matches between Delta and Payson wrestlers included Lovell’s 6-5 win over Payson’s Riley Loveless and then Judd’s 3-1 overtime win over Delta’s Alex Martin.
Other winners at the North-Central regional were Morgan’s Jayden Pentz (106), Spanish Fork’s Brandon Ashworth (132), Juab’s Dalton Harmon (145), Tooele’s Seth Manning (170), and Bear River’s BroDee Stevenson (285).
In 3A’s other regional at Uintah High School this Friday and Saturday, the Wasatch Wasps qualified 17 wrestlers into the state tournament to hold off Uintah and Union for first place. Wasatch finished with 306.5 points, while Uintah a distant second at 265.5 and Union in third at 259.
Wasatch’s individual champs were Braiden Parker (106) and Spencer Heywood (152). Heywood’s win at 152 pounds was the surprise of the South-East regional. The sophomore upset Hurricane’s Zach Prince — who is gunning for his fourth individual state title this year — in overtime, 7-6.
Cedar’s Dusty Hone (126) and Cameron Williamson (195) — both returning champs as well— were much more fortunate as they easily won their regional championship matches.
Other winners at the South-East regional were Canyon View’s Cobe Berrett (113), Hurricane’s Josh Pettus (120), Uintah’s Beau Blackburn (132), Uintah’s Colton Havens (138), Cedar’s Kolby Lloyd (145), Union’s Kaden Campbell (160), Union’s Steven Welsh (170), Union's’s Allen Hamblin (182), Uintah’s Aaron Dick (220), and Uintah’s Cole Mair (285).
3A North-Central Regional
At Sevier Valley Center
1. Delta, 313; 2. Payson, 260.5; 3. Bear River, 235; 4. Tooele, 159; 5. Spanish Fork, 137; 6. Stansbury, 121.5; 7. Juab, 108; 8. Morgan, 102.5; 9. North Sanpete, 71.5; 10. Carbon, 42; 11. Grantsville, 39.5; 12. Ben Lomond, 25; 13. Ogden, 16.
Individual results (top 8 qualify for state)
106 — Championship, Jayden Pentz, Morgan def. James Wright, Spanish Fork, Pin 5:01; 3. Josh Jensen, Payson; 4. Trevor Poulsen, Delta; 5. Jesse Schroemges, Payson; 6. Tanner Memmott, Juab; 7. Jeremy Zolling, Bear River; 8. Bradlee Chatterton, Carbon.
113 — Championship, Jose Garcia, Delta def. Nickolas Bingham, Bear River, 5-2; 3. Jarrid Lavios, Tooele; 4. Mason Colledege, Spanish Fork; 5. Chris Hernandez, Bear River; 6. Jalen Herrera, Stansbury; 7. Josh Allen, Delta; 8. Josh Bishop, Tooele.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40