Kim Raff/Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The city is extending the application deadline to Feb. 14 for people to apply to serve on its its newly-formed Bicycle Advisory Committee.
Interested residents have until 5 p.m. that day to submit an application for two or three-year-terms.
The committee is part of Mayor Ralph Becker's transportation initiative that includes the promotion of bicycling citywide by tapping the expertise of all variety of cyclists.
“A primary goal of the new committee is to increase the diversity of the types of bicyclists giving input to the city,” said Transportation Director Robin Hutcheson. “Since 1977, we’ve had dedicated volunteers who have made great contributions to the success of bicycling in Salt Lake City. We’re seeking to build on that work.”
The advisory committee will work with the city's transportation advisory board and give input on city projects and work to foster the integration of bicycling with other transportation initiatives.
Up to 13 Salt Lake City residents will be selected by Becker and the Salt Lake City Council to serve two-or-three year terms. Residents can find out about the committee by going online, where an application is also available.
The city offers additional information on its promotions of biking at bikeslc.com
In 2012, the city launched its SmartTrips program that targeted 1,000 households in a 16-square block area. Residents were encouraged to walk, bike or ride transit to get around.
This year, the city has declared 2013 as the "Year of the Bike." To that end, in April it will launch a bikeshare program featuring fully-automated solar-powered stations where bikes will be available to rent.
The GREENBike program will allow residents to rent a bicycle for $5 a day or $15 a week. For a $75 season pass, bicyclists can take any bike from any station for 30 minutes at a time as frequently as desired, day or night.
Membership tracks how many calories are burned, miles traveled, gallons of gas saved and even the amount of carbon dioxide emissions avoided.
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Intermountain Healthcare offering benefits to...
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view milestone;...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Green energy option in Logan points to a need...
- Start thinking about retirement while in your...
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah...
- UTA's six-person group pass is here for the...
- Obama declares health care law is... 19
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- About Utah: A cheesy way to save the farm 4
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view... 4
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah... 3