“We were so close (to the 3A records), but I couldn’t ask for anything better,” said Marsing, who was named the 3A boys coach of the year. His school swept the team competitions. It was the first title ever for the Wasatch girls and the first one ever for one of Marsing's teams.
“I chased Brighton for years. With Russ Lauber at the helm, they won 21 straight,” he said. “I told the girls they had to come to swim, and they did. They stepped up when they needed to.”
The Wasatch girls totaled 317 points, edging second-place Judge, which scored 263 points. Judge coach Matt Finnigan was named the 3A girls coach of the year.
The Wasatch boys finished with 379 points while Park City finished in second with 244 points.
“We’ve got a challenge moving up into 4A, but we’ll just rise to the occasion,” Marsing added. “This is a nice way to leave 3A.”
Other Wasatch individual champions included Finley, who won the 100-yard backstroke title with a time of 54.92, and Dahl, who took first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.54.
“I’ve been telling (Dahl) all year she can go 1:06. She went 1:06 today, and she’s just a junior,” Marsing said.
Park City senior Zach Carfi won the boys 100 breast with a time of 1:00.74 and Park City sophomore Natalie McDonald won the 100 back with a time of 1:00.21.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29