Utah State head soccer coach Heather Cairns announced Saturday that eight players have signed with Utah State for the 2013 season.
“It was important for us to bring in a balanced 2103 class, but we also had to place a particular emphasis on the defensive holes left by the graduation of Natalie Norris and Ashlyn Mulford," Cairns said. "Our 2013 class has prepared themselves well for college soccer by playing on state cup championship teams, being Olympic Development Program members, and being members of Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) teams. I am also excited that we have enticed two local players, Jessica Brooksby and Karlee Campbell, to stay home and give the hometown crowd local players to cheer for. This class is excited to embrace the challenge of moving to the Mountain West and competing for our first championship in the new conference.”
The Aggies have signed five players from the Beehive State, including midfielder/forward Jessica Brooksby (Smithfield, Utah/Sky View High School), defender Karlee Campbell (Hyrum, Utah), midfielders Lauren Harmon (Salt Lake City, Utah/Skyline High School), goalkeeper McKayla Johnstone (Sandy, Utah/Jordan High School) and midfielder Jayne Robison (Layton, Utah/Layton High School).
Utah State also adds one player each from Oregon, California and Hawaii with the signing of Mikayla Howes (Sherwood, Ore./Sherwood High School), Ann Marie Lee (Garden Grove, Calif./Pacifica High School) and Shyani Terukina (Mililani, Hawaii/Mililani High School).
Utah State returns nine starters and 18 letterwinners from last season’s squad that ended the season with a 13-3-6 record. The Aggies were undefeated with a 6-0-2 Western Athletic Conference record en route to their fourth WAC regular-season title in five years. Utah State also won its second-straight WAC Tournament title and advanced to its second consecutive NCAA Tournament. USU returns three all-WAC honorees in midfielder Mari Miyashiro, who earned first team honors, and forward Jennifer Flynn and defender Taryn Rose who were named to the second team.
2013 USU Soccer Signees
Name Pos. Hometown (High School)
Jessica Brooksby M/F Smithfield, Utah (Sky View High School)
Karlee Campbell D Hyrum, Utah (Mountain Crest High School)
Lauren Harmon M Salt Lake City, Utah (Skyline High School)
Mikayla Howes D Sherwood, Ore. (Sherwood High School)
McKayla Johnstone GK Sandy, Utah (Jordan High School)
Ann Marie Lee D Garden Grove, Calif. (Pacifica High School)
Jayne Robison M Layton, Utah (Layton High School)
Shyani Terukina D/M/F Mililani, Hawaii (Mililani High School)
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20