RIVERTON — A man cleaning his handgun accidentally shot his friend in the stomach Saturday afternoon in an incident police say should serve as caution for others.
The shooting victim, 34, was taken to Intermountain Medical Center after the 2:04 p.m. shooting at 1411 W. 11940 South, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Hoyal said the men were out in the garage when the 25-year-old began racking the gun to eject a round. The gun discharged.
"I guess the message here is if you are handling a gun, cleaning a gun, always keep it pointed in a safe direction," Hoyal said.
The shooting victim is expected to recover.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 35
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Government regulation has become like... 24
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22