RIVERTON — A man cleaning his handgun accidentally shot his friend in the stomach Saturday afternoon in an incident police say should serve as caution for others.
The shooting victim, 34, was taken to Intermountain Medical Center after the 2:04 p.m. shooting at 1411 W. 11940 South, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Hoyal said the men were out in the garage when the 25-year-old began racking the gun to eject a round. The gun discharged.
"I guess the message here is if you are handling a gun, cleaning a gun, always keep it pointed in a safe direction," Hoyal said.
The shooting victim is expected to recover.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21