RIVERTON — A man cleaning his handgun accidentally shot his friend in the stomach Saturday afternoon in an incident police say should serve as caution for others.
The shooting victim, 34, was taken to Intermountain Medical Center after the 2:04 p.m. shooting at 1411 W. 11940 South, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Hoyal said the men were out in the garage when the 25-year-old began racking the gun to eject a round. The gun discharged.
"I guess the message here is if you are handling a gun, cleaning a gun, always keep it pointed in a safe direction," Hoyal said.
The shooting victim is expected to recover.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13