RIVERTON — A man cleaning his handgun accidentally shot his friend in the stomach Saturday afternoon in an incident police say should serve as caution for others.
The shooting victim, 34, was taken to Intermountain Medical Center after the 2:04 p.m. shooting at 1411 W. 11940 South, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Hoyal said the men were out in the garage when the 25-year-old began racking the gun to eject a round. The gun discharged.
"I guess the message here is if you are handling a gun, cleaning a gun, always keep it pointed in a safe direction," Hoyal said.
The shooting victim is expected to recover.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 51
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 32
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20