This time last week, the Wasatch High School girl’s basketball team had a good grip on first place in 3A Region 10, tied with Juan Diego. With three games remaining on their schedule and two of them being division rival contests at home, the girls were sitting in the catbird seat.
The two home games ended up being heartbreaking losses for Wasatch. The first was a two-point defeat to region co-leader Juan Diego by two points, the other an even tougher loss as the Lady Wasps gave away a 10 point lead late in the fourth quarter going down to Judge Memorial by a mere one point.
Wasatch had one more shot at redemption before the post season and they were not about to let this one slip away. Traveling to Union High School in Roosevelt for their regular season finale, the Wasps soundly defeated the home Cougars by a score of 62-33.
The game was never close, as Wasatch jumped out to an early lead and finished the first quarter with a 14-9 advantage. The hot-shooting ladies from Heber City continued to pour it on before the half, adding 19 more points to stretch their lead to 33-16 at the break.
After getting outscored by the home team in the third frame, Wasatch completely silenced the gym in the fourth quarter with a stingy defensive effort allowing Union to score only two points to their 19.
Seven Wasps scored on the evening lead by senior guard Rebecca MaWhinney who poured in 20 points. Fellow senior Renee Fagg added 10 points and sophomore point guard Ashlyn Coleman chipped in nine points. Wasatch was sharp from long ranch hitting seven three-point shots to keep the Lady Cougars at bay.
The win put Wasatch back into a second place tie with Judge Memorial who lost to Park City. The tie-breaker goes to Wasatch on points allowed and will give the Wasps a playoff game at home.
Kenny Bristow is a contributor to the Deseret News high school coverage for the Wasatch region. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 66
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0