High school boys basketball: Ben Lomond clinches second place in Region 11 with win over Stansbury
STANSBURY PARK — The Ben Lomond Scots had a chance to clinch Region 11's second playoff seed with a win Friday against Stansbury, and they did just that, beating the Stallions 54-51. Ben Lomond had four players score in double figures, including 14 each from Sterling Brandley and Josh Hardin.
“Tonight was probably our biggest game of the year,” said Hardin. “We didn’t want to leave second place up to a coin flip. It helps a lot to get our first playoff game at home.”
Stansbury gave the Scots all they had in the first quarter, using nine quick points from Ryan Robbins to take a 19-12 lead at the end of the first quarter.
The Stallions were able to play another solid quarter in the second, and grabbed a 31-22 lead at the half.
“In the first half we committed a lot of turnovers,” said Hardin. “We made a lot of silly mistakes that we can fix before next week.”
The Scots came out ready in the third quarter, outscoring the Stallions 14-5 in the period and tying the game up at 36 heading to the fourth quarter.
The two schools went back and forth in the final period, trading buckets and stops. Tom Griffith and Stone Tia each hit big 3s to cut the Ben Lomond lead to one, and Griffith had the ball in his hands for the final seconds. The junior guard took a 3 that just rimmed out at the buzzer, and the Stallions ended their season on a low note.
With the win, the Scots move to 13-9 and 9-3 in Region 11. The Stallions end the season 6-16 and 2-10 in Region 11.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 34
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 28
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16