Weber State begins crucial home stand in Big Sky play against SUU
OGDEN – After nearly a month away from home and Big Sky Conference implications increasing, Weber State returns to Ogden for a four-game home stand that ultimately could determine where the conference championship is held in March.
The Wildcats (15-5, 10-2), who became the first team in Big Sky history to win 10 conference games in seven consecutive seasons, host Southern Utah (10-12, 8-5) Saturday, 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. The Thunderbirds have won five straight behind Damon Heuir (16.9 ppg) and Jackson Stevenett (16.7ppg).
Trailing Montana by two games in the conference standings, WSU has six of the last eight games at home including games against Montana, SUU and Montana State — the first, third and fourth placed teams in the Big Sky.
Luckily, the Wildcats are pretty tough at the Purple Palace. Currently, they’re maintaining a 13-game conference win streak at home and have won 32 of the last 34 games played in Ogden, only losing three games in three years.
In last week’s win over Northern Colorado, Scott Bamforth led the ‘Cats with 20 points. It marked the fifth time this season Bamforth has led WSU in scoring while ranking sixth in the country in free-throw percentage (91.4 percent).
Frank Otis’ play has continued to soar for WSU. In the two road wins last week he averaged 17.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 82 percent from the field. With the Joel Bolomboy still seeing action, the combination of the two athletic forwards has proven a difficult guard for opposing teams.
Wildcats on the Air
Southern Utah (10-12, 8-5) at Weber State (15-5, 10-2)
Saturday, 7 p.m.
Ogden, Dee Events Center
Online video: bigskytv.org
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 28