Weber State begins crucial home stand in Big Sky play against SUU
OGDEN – After nearly a month away from home and Big Sky Conference implications increasing, Weber State returns to Ogden for a four-game home stand that ultimately could determine where the conference championship is held in March.
The Wildcats (15-5, 10-2), who became the first team in Big Sky history to win 10 conference games in seven consecutive seasons, host Southern Utah (10-12, 8-5) Saturday, 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. The Thunderbirds have won five straight behind Damon Heuir (16.9 ppg) and Jackson Stevenett (16.7ppg).
Trailing Montana by two games in the conference standings, WSU has six of the last eight games at home including games against Montana, SUU and Montana State — the first, third and fourth placed teams in the Big Sky.
Luckily, the Wildcats are pretty tough at the Purple Palace. Currently, they’re maintaining a 13-game conference win streak at home and have won 32 of the last 34 games played in Ogden, only losing three games in three years.
In last week’s win over Northern Colorado, Scott Bamforth led the ‘Cats with 20 points. It marked the fifth time this season Bamforth has led WSU in scoring while ranking sixth in the country in free-throw percentage (91.4 percent).
Frank Otis’ play has continued to soar for WSU. In the two road wins last week he averaged 17.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 82 percent from the field. With the Joel Bolomboy still seeing action, the combination of the two athletic forwards has proven a difficult guard for opposing teams.
Wildcats on the Air
Southern Utah (10-12, 8-5) at Weber State (15-5, 10-2)
Saturday, 7 p.m.
Ogden, Dee Events Center
Online video: bigskytv.org
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 281
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 52
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 29