R. Scott Lloyd, Photo by R. Scott Lloyd
Music director Thierry Fischer, associate conductor Vladimir Kulenovic and principal pops conductor Jerry Steichen announced the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera's upcoming 2013-14 season this week.
According to a news release, Fischer will conduct the orchestra in many of the season's special performances, including a world premiere commission by American composer Andrew Norman with Colin Currie on percussion, an entire Carl Nielsen symphony cycle as well as a program commemorating the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination and the 100th anniversary of Benjamin Britten's birth.
A special event to be presented by Utah Symphony and Utah Opera will be Disney's "Pixar in Concert," featuring music and images from memorable film moments from Pixar. Kulenovic will conduct.
Steichen will lead four of five "Entertainment Series" performances, and guest artists such as Tony Award-winner Brian Stokes Mitchell, jazz trumpeter and vocalist Byron Striping, and Juno and Grammy-winning fiddler Natalie MacMaster will be included, according to a news release.
Also announced was that the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation will be the sponsor for the 2013-14 season. The foundation has been a longtime benefactor of the organization and other arts programs in Utah.
"We are delighted to sponsor the upcoming season of Utah Symphony and Utah Opera, one that clearly reflects the growing energy and excitement that the organization has been building among audiences, musicians and performers alike,” said Lisa Eccles, president and COO of the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation, in a news release.
“This foundation has proven to be much more than just a partner and donor to our organization,” said Melia Tourangeau, president and CEO of the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera, in a news release. "Its directors have truly become part of the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera family, sharing our commitment to long-term stability and growth.”
Season ticket packages are now on sale. Information on becoming a Utah Symphony season ticket holder is available by calling 801-533-NOTE (6683) or visiting www.usuo.org. Tickets for individual concerts will go on sale to the general public in August 2013.
For more information on the upcoming season's performances, visit www.usuo.org.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- Fatal shot in standoff with West Jordan...
- A community comes together to support a...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Pending divorce may have sparked brutal...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 77
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 72
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 18
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 12