In “Assassins,” the award-winning composer “also takes themes from distinctly American composers throughout the 150 years that this play covers, from the end of the Civil War to the 1980s. Each of his songs has a motif that it follows, whether it’s Stephen Foster or Aaron Copland. I think the song ‘I Am Unworthy of Your Love’ sounds very pop, as if composers like Burt Bacharach or Marvin Hamlisch would have written it in the ’80s.”
In addition, “we have very talented cast members, and they are doing a phenomenal job interpreting this material,” she summarizes. “And I’m looking forward to people hearing it.”
Content advisory: profane, adult language and themes
If you go
What: Stephen Sondheim’s “Assassins”
Where: Ziegfeld Theatre in Ogden Feb. 14-17 and the Rose Wagner Theatre in Salt Lake Feb. 28-March 3
How much: $25-$17
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- S.L. draws up airport plans 18
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 16
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 14
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11