“The more we rehearsed this play, even though the characters and their backgrounds from one act to the next are markedly different, at core what they represent are very similar to one another,” he says. “The challenge is allowing it, not feeling the need to make them different for the sake of making them different, but being truthful to what the characters have to say. The deeper we go into the play, the more universal it becomes, to the point that audience members sees themselves in one or more of the characters on the stage.”
Will the circle of racial disharmony be unbroken?
“That would be a wonderful thing and I’m ever hopeful,” Douglas says. “I’m not sure if it will happen in my lifetime, but I have great faith that all ills will be healed. But it can’t happen until we actually address the underlying, fundamental chasm that exists between blacks and whites in America, and so far collectively as a country we haven’t been able to get there.”
Content advisory: Strong language, including profanities and vulgarities, including deliberately offensive racist and sexist jokes
If you go
What: “Clybourne Park”
Where: Pioneer Theatre Company
When: Feb. 15-March 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays–Thursdays, 8 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays, and 2 p.m. on Saturday matinees
How much: $25-$44 in advance or $5 more day of show, with half-price tickets for children over age 5 through grade 12 on Mondays and Tuesdays
Tickets: 801-581-6961 or pioneertheatre.org
- 5 rules for a happy marriage
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- The Clean Cut: 'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight'...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned over...
- The Clean Cut: Put down your phone, pick up...
- How Harrison Ford’s broken leg could...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling to...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 61
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: A 12-year-old... 13
- Parents of eight children both have... 9
- Erin Stewart: Stumbling blocks to adoption 9
- Family struggling with loss of mother,... 6
- Why your doctor wants you to read aloud... 5
- Hundreds pray, fast for Utah boy burned... 3
- One mother's plea: 'Am I enough?' 2