“The more we rehearsed this play, even though the characters and their backgrounds from one act to the next are markedly different, at core what they represent are very similar to one another,” he says. “The challenge is allowing it, not feeling the need to make them different for the sake of making them different, but being truthful to what the characters have to say. The deeper we go into the play, the more universal it becomes, to the point that audience members sees themselves in one or more of the characters on the stage.”
Will the circle of racial disharmony be unbroken?
“That would be a wonderful thing and I’m ever hopeful,” Douglas says. “I’m not sure if it will happen in my lifetime, but I have great faith that all ills will be healed. But it can’t happen until we actually address the underlying, fundamental chasm that exists between blacks and whites in America, and so far collectively as a country we haven’t been able to get there.”
Content advisory: Strong language, including profanities and vulgarities, including deliberately offensive racist and sexist jokes
If you go
What: “Clybourne Park”
Where: Pioneer Theatre Company
When: Feb. 15-March 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays–Thursdays, 8 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays, and 2 p.m. on Saturday matinees
How much: $25-$44 in advance or $5 more day of show, with half-price tickets for children over age 5 through grade 12 on Mondays and Tuesdays
Tickets: 801-581-6961 or pioneertheatre.org
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Would you rather get married earlier, or stay...
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews nearly...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing your...
- Why 'The Giver' is more relevant than...
- Father of 4 Roger Federer gives...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Basic assumptions... 34
- How to eat on just $4 a day 16
- Here's what you can do to protect your... 14
- Hey moms: Your neighbor's religion... 11
- Pediatricians' Rx for schools: Later... 5
- Parenting advice that changed my life 4
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews... 4