“The more we rehearsed this play, even though the characters and their backgrounds from one act to the next are markedly different, at core what they represent are very similar to one another,” he says. “The challenge is allowing it, not feeling the need to make them different for the sake of making them different, but being truthful to what the characters have to say. The deeper we go into the play, the more universal it becomes, to the point that audience members sees themselves in one or more of the characters on the stage.”
Will the circle of racial disharmony be unbroken?
“That would be a wonderful thing and I’m ever hopeful,” Douglas says. “I’m not sure if it will happen in my lifetime, but I have great faith that all ills will be healed. But it can’t happen until we actually address the underlying, fundamental chasm that exists between blacks and whites in America, and so far collectively as a country we haven’t been able to get there.”
Content advisory: Strong language, including profanities and vulgarities, including deliberately offensive racist and sexist jokes
If you go
What: “Clybourne Park”
Where: Pioneer Theatre Company
When: Feb. 15-March 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays–Thursdays, 8 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays, and 2 p.m. on Saturday matinees
How much: $25-$44 in advance or $5 more day of show, with half-price tickets for children over age 5 through grade 12 on Mondays and Tuesdays
Tickets: 801-581-6961 or pioneertheatre.org
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- Time for an assessment of the year in movies...
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop yelling...
- New Episcopal presiding bishop gives message...
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Matching 'the majesty': Tuacahn Amphitheatre...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: The books that change us
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 21
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 9
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- Where are all the good Fourth of July... 4
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 3
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop... 3
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the... 2