Another paramount moment is the kitchen scene after the ball in which Cinderella, dressed again in rags, wakes up from what she believes may have been a wonderful dream.
“Then she finds that slipper in her pocket and everything changes. Not just her face, but also the way she moves, holds herself and executes steps,” says Williams. All agree it’s a magical scene.
There are company-wide challenges in mounting the storybook ballet as well. The vastness of the production may be the greatest.
“We are utilizing the whole company, plus Ballet West II and even many of the academy children,” says Sklute, “And the parts aren’t just courtesans standing around the stage. They’re carefully choreographed roles.”
In Sklute’s estimation, Ballet West, and particularly the three Cinderellas, have devoured the challenge. Not a surprise for a ballet company robust enough to handle cameras zooming in on dancers' every move for weeks on end, watching a spliced narrative of themselves unfold on TV months later, and then agreeing to do it all over again for another season. If Ballet West does have a “breaking point,” we’ve yet to see it.
If you go
What: Ballet West’s “Cinderella”
When: Feb. 14-17, 20-23 at 7:30 p.m.; Feb. 16 and 23 at 2 p.m.
Where: Capitol Theatre, 50 West 200 South, Salt Lake City
How Much: $19-$75
Tickets: 801-355-ARTS or arttix.org
Visit balletwest.org for more info.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Swallow committee winding down as Attorney...
- December storms boost Utah's snowpack
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 23
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 22