Another paramount moment is the kitchen scene after the ball in which Cinderella, dressed again in rags, wakes up from what she believes may have been a wonderful dream.
“Then she finds that slipper in her pocket and everything changes. Not just her face, but also the way she moves, holds herself and executes steps,” says Williams. All agree it’s a magical scene.
There are company-wide challenges in mounting the storybook ballet as well. The vastness of the production may be the greatest.
“We are utilizing the whole company, plus Ballet West II and even many of the academy children,” says Sklute, “And the parts aren’t just courtesans standing around the stage. They’re carefully choreographed roles.”
In Sklute’s estimation, Ballet West, and particularly the three Cinderellas, have devoured the challenge. Not a surprise for a ballet company robust enough to handle cameras zooming in on dancers' every move for weeks on end, watching a spliced narrative of themselves unfold on TV months later, and then agreeing to do it all over again for another season. If Ballet West does have a “breaking point,” we’ve yet to see it.
If you go
What: Ballet West’s “Cinderella”
When: Feb. 14-17, 20-23 at 7:30 p.m.; Feb. 16 and 23 at 2 p.m.
Where: Capitol Theatre, 50 West 200 South, Salt Lake City
How Much: $19-$75
Tickets: 801-355-ARTS or arttix.org
Visit balletwest.org for more info.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14