Transforming another style of home into a true bungalow is difficult because of the roof profile. Just as a Tudor needs a steeply pitched roof, a bungalow needs large overhangs which cannot just be "tacked on" to an existing roof. However, there are elements of the bungalow style that can be judiciously added to a home to borrow some of that Craftsman charm. The flip side of that is the danger of sticking — say — a tapered Craftsman column on just any house, resulting in a façade that looks strange instead of charming. Here is where an architect can come in handy.
There is a lot written about Craftsman homes, as there is quite a following of devoted bungalow owners. Some exploration in the library or on the Internet will yield a great deal of information regarding this style. Recognizing the hallmarks of a Craftsman bungalow will allow you to stay true to the original style which, in turn, will give your home the look and feel you are seeking.
Over the next two weeks we will discuss the characteristics of Cape Cods and California ranches, two other common and beautiful house styles found throughout the Salt Lake Valley.
Ann Robinson and Annie V. Schwemmer are the principal architects and co-founders of a residential architectural firm focused on life-changing remodeling designs at RenovationDesignGroup.com. Send comments or questions to ask@RenovationDesignGroup.com
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Families celebrate Christmas traditions as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- Holiday video game guide: Something for...
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5