High school wrestling: Herriman steals Westlake's thunder at Region 7 meet
SARATOGA SPRINGS — The Herriman Mustangs road into town Thursday night and stole Westlake’s thunder, winning the Region 7 championship in convincing fashion. Scoring 466.5 points to the home team’s 362.5 enabled Herriman to easily walk away with the title.
The Thunder placed second after jumping out to an early lead in the lower weight divisions, but the strength of the Mustangs was too much to overcome.
The strong showing for Herriman was proof for head coach Steve Bowdren that his squad is on a level playing field with the rest of Class 4A.
“The sky is the limit with this team,” Bowdren said. “We’ve got some tough competition with Maple Mountain, Box Elder and Mountain Crest, but I think we’re capable of competing with them. So that’s what we plan to do.”
Success for the Mustangs this season has been a balanced mix of hard work and just enough fun, according to the man at the helm.
“This team has a really funny personality,” Bowdren said. “They’re always messing with each other and joking around with me, having a good time. That’s part of it (the team's success). But when it’s time to go to work, they do it. They are a really close-knit team.”
Third place was taken by Olympus (194), with Murray (155), Sklyline (155) and Hillcrest (73) rounding out the team scoring.
The 4A state championships will be held at the UCCU Center at Utah Valley University in Orem next Wednesday through Saturday.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23