BYU basketball: Cougars can't overcome double-digit deficit this time, fall at San Diego
BYU opened strong over the first 10 minutes of the game, but USD had its way with the Cougars over the final 10 minutes of the first half.
BYU took control early, seizing an 18-10 lead at the 12-minute mark after a Carlino steal and pass to Haws, who dunked the ball.
But over the next several minutes, USD went on a 13-2 run that allowed the Toreros to take a 23-20 advantage. The Toreros extended their lead to as many as six, 38-32, with two minutes left in the first half. USD had a 40-36 lead at intermission.
"We got a lot of baskets early in transition. A couple of offensive fouls kind of slowed us down as far as our aggressiveness and ability to attack," Rose said. "The second 10 minutes of the first half we were having a hard time getting stops. They seemed to be scoring at will in the post."
The Cougars gave up 15 turnovers, including eight in the first 20 minutes.
"We made some knucklehead plays in the first half," Haws said.
In the second half, Davies got loose and scored 14 points, including eight straight during one stretch midway through the half.
Meanwhile, USD's Ken Rancifer knocked down three 3-pointers in the second half en route to 13 points in that period.
BYU hosts San Francisco on Saturday (7 p.m. MST, BYUtv).
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 68
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26