High school swimming: Brighton boys, Bingham girls lead after Day 1 of 5A meet
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
PROVO — There weren't many surprises after the first eight events of the 5A swimming championships. Powerhouse Brighton holds the boys lead at 138 team points and is nipping at Bingham's heels for the girls lead — trailing just 108-98.
Leading the way for the Bengals was defending 200-yard individual medley champion Long Gutierrez. The state record-holder came just short of breaking his own record, but he was pleased nonetheless.
"I wanted to (break my record), but it was all right," Gutierrez said. "I guess I was tired and didn't feel it."
Gutierrez swam a time of 1:52.57 with Lehi's Tervor Blackburn taking second (1:54.82) and American Fork's Ethan Pollock taking third (1:59.66.)
Cottonwood's Jordan Dahle won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:41.37. West Jordan's Jarren Brinton took second (1:44.32) and Jorgen Jensen of Copper Hills took third with a time of 1:47.67.
Pleasant Grove's Nathan Brimhall took the gold in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 21.64. Brighton's Brock Harries took second (22.65) with Weber's Chandler Ward taking third (22.93.)
Lehi finished second in team points on the men's side with 104 followed by Cottonwood's 85.
On the women's side, it was Alta senior Brianna Francis who stole the show — coming just short of her state record while taking gold in the 200-yard individual medley.
"I was way more nervous this year compared to last because it was my last year and all," Francis said. "This feels so great to go out like this and ... I couldn't be more happy even though I didn't break my record from last year."
Francis took the gold with a time of 2:04.52. Kearns' Alisa Gouge took second (2:11.95) and Bingham's Ciera Orr took third (2:15.77.)
West showed very strong on the women's side with freshman Autumn Wolfgram leading the way. After swimming the third leg of the gold medal-winning women's 200-yard freestyle relay Wolfgram took down an individual gold in the individual 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:54.65.
"I was so scared going in and I just tried to hang in there," Wolfgram said. "It was a fun race. ... I was kind of surprised (to win), but I'll take it."
Bingham senior Kirsten Mathewson took second with a time of 1:54.99. In a great act of sportsmanship, she aided Wolfgram in her victory. Seeing how nervous the young freshman was on the block next to her before the race, Mathewson lent words of encouragement.
"She came up there and comforted me and really calmed my emotions down," said Wolfgram.
Kristine Pataray of Copper Hills won gold in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.20. West's Amelia Wolfgram took second (24.28) and Alta's Alicia May took third with a time of 25.07.
5A boys results:
Team standings (through four events)
1. Brighton 138; 2. Lehi 104; 3. Cottonwood 85; 4. Kearns 62; 5. American Fork 46; T-6. Bingham 44; T-6. Hunter 44.
200-yard medley relay: 1. Lehi (Trevor Blackburn, Tyler Blackburn, Jared Smith, Gavin Doel) 1:40.42; 2. Cottonwood (Brendan Nguyen, Austin Duran, Koji Aoki, Jordan Dahle) 1:40.66; 3. Lone Peak (Christopher Nielson, Jake Butters, Kade Hunter, Gray Anderson) 1:40.79; 4. Brighton (Sam Peters, Matt Templeman, Trick Graf, Tyler Barrett) 1:42.47; 5. Bingham (Grant Roberts, Peter Nelson, Devin Froerer, Rourke Stark) 1:42.55; 6. Alta (Jayden Rasband, Ryland Savage, Trip Affleck, Zachary Ahlmer) 1:44.68.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22