NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Utah Valley’s Allah Laryea-Akrong and Maryn Pincock have been named Great West Conference Track and Field Athletes of the Week after posting record-setting performances last week at Boise State’s Bronco Classic. The awards were announced Thursday by the conference office.
Laryea-Akrong, the three-time defending GWC indoor champion in both the 60m and 200m events, not only won both sprints at the Bronco Classic but set a new school record in the 200m by obliterating the previous record by 0.26 seconds. The senior from Ghana won the race with a time of 21.18 to rank him 21st in the nation in the event. Laryea-Akrong also took home the 60m title on the day in a time of 6.76, barely missing the school record of 6.69 that he set on Jan. 11 at the BYU Invitational.
The female athlete of the week award went to Pincock after leading the Wolverine women at the Bronco Classic with a second-place showing in the shot put (14.04m). Her throw is the best in the GWC this season and is a personal record for Pincock. In addition to the Wolverines, the meet featured teams from Fresno State, Utah State, Utah, Cal State Los Angeles and host Boise State.
Others nominated for the weekly honors were Houston Baptist’s Matt Perri and Brittane Gaines, and Texas-Pan American’s Martin Casse and Jasmine Brooks.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 31
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22